Marshall County

Alcove Spring


  Alcove Spring



 

ALCOVE SPRING HISTORY
Alcove Spring Map As emigrants headed west on the Oregon Trail they crossed the Blue Blue River at Independence Crossing. Many times the river was too swollen to cross, so the travelers had to wait a few days to make the crossing safer.

Near the crossing the emigrants discovered one of the most beautiful and serene sites along the Oregon Trail - Alcove Spring.  The spring flows from the side of the alcove into the basin below the falls.  Water from a wet-weather creek flows over a rocky outcrop and falls 10-12 feet into the same pool.

Alcove Spring got its name in 1846 when the Donner-Reed Party was forced to wait for the Big Blue River to go down, from May 26 to May 31.  One of the members of the party, Edwin Bryant, found and named the Alcove Spring site.  "Alcove Spring" and "JFR 26 May 1846" were engraved in a rock at the top of the falls.  They are still visible today.

The group was saddened on May 29 by the death of Sarah H. Keyes, the mother-in-law of the party co-leader, James F. Reed.  Over the years the original gravesite has been lost, but in 1950 the Arthur Barrett Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a monument at Alcove Spring in her honor.

Because of the 5 day delay at the Big Blue River and poor judgment in attempting an untried route across the Great Salt Desert, the Donner-Reed Party reached the Sierra pass too late.  Blocked by snow, the emigrants were stranded.  Of the 81 stranded only 45 survived.

ALCOVE SPRING TODAY
Alcove Spring was the first Marshall County property entered on the National Register of Historic Places.  The site was on a privately owned pasture, and had been opened to the public until the 1970's, when public access was denied.  In 1993, the park was reopened.  A year later the Alcove Spring Historical Trust bought 233 acres, which included Alcove Spring.   Another organization, The Alcove Spring Preservation Association, plans events at the site and is working with the Kansas State Historical Society and the National park Service to preserve Alcove Spring and interpret the story of the site.

The area is rich in natural beauty and features native grasses, wildflowers, trees, birds and other animal life. You can hike a short trail from the parking lot, through a shady woods to the site of the actual falls, or take a longer hike through the hills.   Approximately 5 miles of marked and mowed walking trails take you along streams, hilly trails with beautiful views of the Blue River Valley, highland pature land that has never seen the plow and some of the prettiest vistas in Marshall County.  Across the road from the parking lot you will find the Sarah Keyes monument, informative signs, Independence Crossing and wagon swales still visible today.

Alcove Spring is located 6 miles South of Marysville on the East River Road.

Attractions     Home



Marysville Chamber of Commerce

(785) 562-3101 • 101 N. Tenth • Hwy 77 & 36 • Marysville, KS 66508

Explore Marysville & Marshall County or visit other Kansas Cities & Towns

Decorative line
Blue Skyways   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
 A service of the Kansas State Library 
© Copyright 1998-2010
Marysville 
Chamber of Commerce
Kansas on the Net
BLS - 08/03/2010
free hit counter