Elevation: 1385 feet
Latitude: 38° 33' 20" N
Longitude: 97° 50' 0" W
ZIP code: 67464
Area Code: 785
School District: USD 400
Marquette is located in western McPherson [MP] county between highway K-4 and the Smoky Hill river. Settled by immigrants from Sweden, the town was chartered February 9, 1874.
The downtown has a wonderful block of late nineteenth century stores that have been restored and repainted to their original colors; each is marked with the year it was constructed. In addition to the neat old stores, there are a couple of nice murals in the downtown area.
- There's a park on Washington with elaborate stone gates, a stone band shell & fountain, and a swimming pool.
- The Hanson-Lindfors Mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours can be arranged.
- The Charter House cabin on east Fifth was the setting for the signing of Marquette Town Charter in 1874.
- City Sundries still has a marble soda fountain.
- The original silent movie center has been converted to a community fine arts center.
- The 1906 Elim Lutheran Church at Fifth and Lincoln is beautiful inside and out.
Marquette City Hall
Marquette, KS 67464
Explore McPherson county or visit other Kansas Cities & Towns
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1998