Pick up your self-guided tour book at the Lyndon Library for $1.00. Special tours can be arranged.
Courthouse - East side of Topeka Avenue between 7th & 8th -- The first Courthouse was in Burlingame until 1875 when the first meeting of the County Commissioners was held in Lyndon. A Courthouse was built in 1887 and used until 1922 when the present Courthouse was erected.
Osage County Historical Society and Museum - 631 Topeka Avenue -- J. W. Hammond built his hardware store on this lot in the 1870's. In 1892, it was replaced and the Euclid Lodge rented it, then it became a drug store, then a clothing store. The Masons purchased it in 1920, then sold to the Society for use as their headquarters.
McDaniel Hardware Store - 622-628 Topeka Avenue -- The main portion of this building was first owned by Elisha Olcott in October 1871 for merchandise. The first Fleming IGA store was housed in the south part and the Phelps Meat Market was housed in the north part. The current owners purchased the main portion and the north building in 1966 from his father and uncle and the south portion in 1974.
Averill Hall - 613 Topeka Avenue -- The first building on this site was built in 1870 but was burned in the block fire of 1895. The current building was built shortly thereafter. The architecture is unique with its eight columns and ornate features.
John Gutsmithl Home - 428 Topeka Avenue -- This home was built in 1902 by John Gutsmithl. He liked the design of this home so much he built a smaller version of it across the street to the north for his daughter. John Gutsmitl was born in Germany and had a shoe business in the building where the Smoke Shak now is.
The "Twin House" - 506 Topeka Avenue -- This house is about one square foot smaller that the house directly south. It was built by John Gutsmithl for his daughter.
Old Ice Plant - 202 W. 3rd -- This plant was built in 1928 by Roscoe Gray. Later he added a slaughter house, locker plant and ice cream shop. The roof garden area was used as a roller skating rink and 4th of July dances. It closed in 1959. Currently, Salt Creek Auto Restoration is housed here.
William Haas Home - 430 Washington -- This home was built in 1871 by William Haas, one of Lyndon's founding father's. The original claim was part of a 20 mile strip which has been a part of the Diminished Reserve of the Sac and Fox Indians.
Dr. W.A. Dole/Rodgers Home - 204 W. 6th -- These two lots were originallly owned by Charles Loomis who built a stone and frame stable where they ground cornmeal with a horse-tread power mill. Later, it was purchased by Dr. W.A. Dole and the current home was built in 1904. Before the house was complete, however, he was fatally injured while attempting to lead his team of horses across a broken culvert.
Stavely Home - 205 W. 6th -- This home was built around the turn of the century and owned by A. K. Stavely. His grandfather was William Stavely and he brought his family to Lyndon from Northern Ireland. A. K. Stavely was a Judge of the Osage County District Court. A Stavely decendent stills owns this home.
Samuel C. Gilliland Home - 628 Washington -- Samuel Gilliland was the first mayor of Lyndon and built his rock home in 1871, the oldest home in Lyndon. A few years later, for reasons unknown, got on his horse, headed west, and was never heard from again.
Shaeffer Home - 120 W. 7th -- This property traded hands several times up until the well-known Shaeffer family resided here. Mr. Shaeffer had a funeral home in town and also owned a furniture store that was on the upper floor of the current liquor store.
Methodist Church - 721 Washington -- Dr. George W. Miller moved to Osage County in 1869 and immediately encourged settlers to form a Methodist Church. In 1871, the church was completed. In 1876, however, members complained of difficulty in getting up the muddy hill so the church building was cut in half and moved on rollers to its present location. This church was later sold, torn down, and a larger one was built.
United Brethren Church - NW corner of 9th & Washington -- In 1894, this lot was sold to the Trustees of the United Brethren Church in Christ and this building was probably built shortly after. They sold it in 1898.
First Ice House - 916 Monroe -- This stone structure was built in the early 1870's. The ice was cut in big chunks from Salt Creek after the creek had frozen over. It was brought back here and packed with straw so it would not melt quickly.
First School in Lyndon - 623 Madison -- It is believed that Joseph Rahskoff, a previous owner of the lot, built the building because he and his wife sold the property to School District #28 in 1889. The district held title until 1907 when the lots where sold.
Lawrence D. Bailey Home - 828 W. 7th -- This home was probably built in 1884 by Henry and Elizabeth Kirby. It was sold several times until Lawrence D. and Elizabeth Baily purchased it. It was Mr. Baily who named Lyndon after a town in Vermont of which "he liked the name". He was a well educated state legislator and was engaged by the Lyndon Town Company as their legal advisor.
Presbyterian Church - 327 W. 6th -- This church was dedicated in 1889 after the old stone one burned in 1888. The church was organized and administered to by Rev. John Rankin who figured prominently in the movement to abolish slavery.
Hussey Home - 307 W. 6th -- According the the current resident, the Hussey family built the present day house who purchased the lot in 1898. L. T. Hussey was a prominent man as he was mayor of Lyndon and also was instrumental in securing the town's Carnegie Library.
N.D. Fairbanks Building - 113 W. 7th -- In one of C.R. Green's books, he says "...Fleming brothers built their stone and brick block about 1884". Later it was the office of Dr. Charles Beasley, the son of Dr. Albert Beasely, who in 1884, came to Lyndon to practice medicine.
Lyndon Carnegie Library - 127 E. 6th -- This library is the smallest of the Carnegie Libraries and was built in the mid 1910's. The first librarian was Gertrude Caimans from 1919 to 1973.
Baptist Church - 124 E. 6th -- The church was built about 1874 but torn down around 1950. However, the original basement of the church is part of the home. In the yard is the second largest tree in Lyndon, probably planted when the church was first built.
Old Stage Coach Barn - SE corner 6th & Ash -- This site is where the Old Stage Barn, built in 1870, stood for many years. It was still standing in 1913.
Stone School Building - 421 East 6th -- There have been several schools since Lyndon was founded and the fifth was located where the present grade school gymnasium stands. This school was torn down and the stone school building was built in 1882. It was sold in 1937 and used as a broom factory. It was destroyed by fire in 1938.
Lyndon Community Page
Last updated on January 23, 2000
Page designed and maintained by Cathy Stwalley for the Lyndon Pride Committee.
For technical concerns related to this site, send to email@example.com
Home page for Kansas State Library