Originally known as "Scott's Town," Le Roy was established by John
B. Scott and his brother-in-law, Frederick Troxel. The latter was the
first known white inhabitant of the present Coffey County. In 1854 he
built a log cabin in the woods just south of the present town and
brought his family here. His wife was the sister of John B. Scott, for
whom the town first was named.
Later Thomas Crabtree bought the Troxel interest in the townsite and
when Richard Burr returned from the California gold fields in 1856 he
bought a third interest in the company, then known as the Le Roy
Town Company. Records do not indicate just why the name was
changed to Le Roy but one logical theory is that it was in tribute to
Le Roy, Illinois, former home of the founders. In any event, the city
was incorporated in 1865.
From: Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves