Post Rock MuseumRush County Historical Society
202 W. First, Lacrosse, KS 67548
Limestone fenceposts were the early homesteader's answer to the shortage of wooden fenceposts on the nearly treeless prairies of north central Kansas. Throughout the 1870's and 1880's fenceposts cost 25 cents each (delivered to the fence line). Each 5-6 foot post weighed about 250-450 pounds. Thousands of posts still stand throughout the area.
In addition to its use in fences, the attractive striped stone was used in constructing hundreds of homes, schools, churches, and bridges, giving the towns of post rock country a distinctive look.
The exhibits of the Post Rock Museum describe:
- Post rock limestone and its geology
- The tools and technology used to quarry it.
- The uses of post rock.
- Stories about post rock.
The post rock building that houses the museum was originally built as a home about 1883 by homesteader Dan Haley and was located southwest of Nekoma. In 1963, it was moved to its current location by the Rush County Historical Society.
- For more about Post Rock and its role in Kansas history, see:
- Muilenburg, G. & Swinford, A. Land of the Post Rock
(Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. 1975)
La Crosse Chamber of Commerce
(785) 222-2639 · Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 716, La Crosse, KS 67548
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1998
Kansas on the Net, LLC
John & Susan Howell