ZIP code: 67346
Area Code: 620
Elevation: 1117 feet
Latitude: 37° 20' 55" N
Longitude: 96° 27' 1" W
School District: USD 462, Central
Grenola is located in southwestern Elk [EK] County just south of US 160 . The town is nestled in the valley of the Big Caney river. The dirt road down this valley from Grenola to Cedar Vale is beautiful in spots; get a good map first. Downtown has a nice wide brick main street with playground equipment and horseshoe lanes in a small park.
When you get down to Grenola, check out Freedom Park Recreation Area just west of the gazebo. This was built with donated funds and volunteer labor. It is a large court for tennis, basketball, shuffleboard, skating, etc. A stone marker commemorates Grenola men lost while fighting for our country during time of war. This has all been completed during 2002.
A manufacturer of airplane parts started a factory in the old school during 1996 so the future looks brighter.
LONGHORN CATTLE DRIVE1881 TO 1884 GRENOLA, KANSAS BECAME
THE LARGEST SINGLE CATTLE SHIPPING
POINT IN THE UNITED STATES.
THE "SOUTHERN KANSAS RAILROAD" WAS
BUILT BETWEEN THE TWO SMALL TOWNS
OF CANOLA AND GREENFIELD ABOUT 6
MI. APART. THE TWO TOWNS CLOSED
RANKS AND TOOK GRENOLA AS THE CITY
NAME USING THE "GRE" FROM GREENFIELD
AND "NOLA" FROM CANOLA. AS THIS
WAS ABOUT 75 MI. SHORTER DRIVE FOR
THE CATTLE, DROVES BEGAN COMING IN
- Stone marker in downtown Grenola
Grenola Memories .
- USD 462 Central of Burden (620) 438-2218
Serving Burden, Atlanta, Grenola, & Cambridge
700 N. Main / P.O. Box 128 / Burden, KS 67019
- In addition, many students attend school in
USD 282, West Elk District (620) 374-2113
that serves Howard, Moline, and Elk Falls.
- West Elk High School S. Highway 99, Howard / (620) 374-2147
Library HoursMonday 4-7
- Grenola Public Library
P. O. Box 131
Grenola, KS 67346
- Grain Elevator Museum (620) 358-3241
Located at the north end of downtown on Main Street, by the tracks.
Places to visit in Grenola
Section of the Grenola Mural
- Grenola has a recently restored stone gazebo that is the local pride and joy.
- There's a nice mural on the wall of the community building showing scenes from Grenola's history. This building contains an auditorium and stage used for plays and large gatherings.
- There's an old bank building with brick columns made with rounded bricks. It was falling apart and looked like it wouldn't be preserved, but, wonder of wonders, it has been restored and now houses a restaurant, True Grit Cafe, with interesting snippets of Grenola's history at each table.
True Grit Cafe and Farmer's State Bank (1883) restored by owner Ben Freeman
- Grenolabar and Sundry (620) 358-3711 / 129 South Main
Open daily 7:00am-9:00pm except Sunday 10:00am to 2:00pm
- Watch for the new B&B: The 1883 building next to the Cafe was the original Grenola State Bank. It is being restored to be used as a bed and breakfast. The front has been painted and has stained glass windows.
- Brown's Auto & Tire Repair (620) 358-3872 / 210 N. Cana (One block west of Main Street) Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Custom Stone Carving (620) 2302 / 410 N. Walnut (Two blocks east of Main Street) Open by appointment
- Family Tree meats Custom butchering & processing; Deer butchering & processing (620) 358-3838 / 2122 Road 6 (4 miles south of Grenola) Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Owned by the Kessinger Family
- Bannister Financial Services (620) 358-3842 (leave message) / 111 South Main B Hours: By appointment
- Simple Treasures Gift Shop Handmade crafts & custom sewing (620) 358-3835 / 111 South Main A Hours: Open Saturdays, 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Grenola Senior Center Friendship meals, Meals on Wheels, and custom hand quilting (620) 358-3601 / 108 South Main A Hours: Monday through Friday 7:00am to 1:30pm
- Futhey Skid Loader & Tree Clipping (620) 358-2241 / 200 East Willow
- BCK Transport LLC (620) 358-2233 / 765 Road 8
- Kelly Manufacturing Company (620) 358-3826 / 311 N. Cana
- Avon Products (620) 358-2831 Carolyn Hill
- Caney River Concrete Sidewalks, basements, all forms of concrete (620) 358-3702
- Eaglehead Outfitters Hunting lodge & guide service (620) 358-3362
- Elmer's Antique & Tractor Repair (620) 358-3378 / 112 South Main
- Elk County Historical Society. Elk County ( 1979 )
City Hall & Library
- City Hall (620) 358-2860
- Post Office (620) 358-2501
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1997
Kansas on the Net, LLC