This page has the links to the rural one room school houses around Elk City. It will be an on-going project and schools will be added as they are finished and as information is accumulated. The Board of Education in Independence as well as the Register of Deeds in Montgomery County, Independence were kind enough to let us copy the records they had in their posession.
Warren Culp, former Superintendent of Schools for Montgomery County spent over 2 years accumulating information on the school systems. Mr. Culp wrote the history of each school in Montgomery County as well as all the teachers that were hired and the pay they received. He also listed the board members where that information was available. We are very grateful to Mr. Culp for the time and all the infomation he accumulated that appear in the information contained here-in.
Other records and accounts that have been shared with us will be noted as such. The student records are far from complete, we have only what was available. We suppose many of the old records were kept by the teachers of that time period or perhaps are in someones attic.
A Teachers Perspective by Olive McKenzie
Mrs. McKenzie taught in the One Room Schools for several years. This is her account of the experiences she had
Fairview School No. 56
- Fairview School No. 56, sampling of students, visitors and Daily Programs
- History of Fairview School No. 56 with teachers and their salaries by Warren A. Culp Sr.
- Fairview School No. 56 School Budget sample
- Fairview School No. 56 School Board Members
Old One Hundred School District #100
- Old One Hundred School, sampling of students, daily programs, visitors.
- Old One Hundred School History with teachers and their salaries. Compiled by Warren A. Culp Sr.
- Old One Hundred School Board Members
- A Picture of Old 100 School
Old 100 School still stands today, this picture was taken in 2002
Mt. Tabor rural School Info from the Myrtle Cox Family. Located in Chautauqua County, Kansas a little west of Elk City.
Radical Rural School Dist. #7
- Radical School Dist. #7 History and Teachers
- Radical Dist. No. 7 School Board Members
- Picture of Class of 1889 or 1890
Sunnyside Rural School Dist. #24
- Sunnyside Rural School Dist. No. 24, sampling of students, daily programs, visitors.
- History of Sunnyside Rural School Dist. No. 24 History developed by Warren Culp Sr., and the teachers
- Sunnyside Dist. No. 24 School Board Members
- Picture of Sunnyside School in 2004
West Liberty Rural School Picture of 1911. Picture provided by Myrtle Cox Family. West Liberty is located in Chautauqua County, Kansas a little west of Elk City.
Remembering the Past
Living the Present
Looking to the Future
Classes of the past
One Room Schools
Explore Elk City in Montgomery
County, or visit other Kansas
Cities & Towns
July 5, 2011 /
Elk City PRIDE, Elk City,
||Visit the Home Page for Kansas|