Verdi was platted September 2, 1884
by Mr. Grandar. He started the plat
two and one-half miles north of the
Saline County line and seven miles west
of the Dickinson County line. A new railroad
was just north of Coal Creek. The
post office was changed from Georgetown
to Verdi on January 16, 1885, with C.H. Shultice as postmaster.
The first bridge south of Verdi was made
out of barrels, laid right on the water, held
together with two cables, one on each
side, then a floor was laid on the barrels.
(Ottawa County Museum Files)