Ada

North Ada was a town before South Ada was in existence.
Surveyed August 30, 1883 by C.P. Crosby, it was platted
and put on record September21, 1883. The original patent
was to R.H. Seymore on September 10, 1875

Wm. Price was the first Justice of the Peace

North Ada was originally started by a post office run by Jacob
Lane and his wife, Mary. Until a few years ago, their stone
house was still standing. It was located approximately
1 3/4 miles west of present day Ada. It was not an
organized Post Office, but merely a place where the stage
coach stopped and left passengers and mail and also picked
up passenger and mail. This stage coach line was from
Solomon to Beloit and went through Saltville, or close to it,
which finally moved south to the end of the railroad and
became the town of Barnard

The town of Ada, as we know it today, was started
in 1883 and was a legally platted town, being one
block wide and four blocks long, north and south. Across
the road to the south was a school house occupying an
acre right in the corner. Also on the south side of
the road, west nearly to the creek, was a creamers.
The date of the plat was january 7, 1887. It was
registered June 29, 1887, after being
approved by the Legislature on March 13, 1887.
This was on the farm homesteaded by Levi J. Beichley who
was issued a patent to it on October 12, 1880

The first mail to Ada was carried by horseback. The
second mail carrier was George Prior who carried it by stage coach.
On the east side of the road, in North Ada, there was a large
livery stable, and a blacksmith shop run by Dick Hogarty

When the railroad came through in 1887, it was the
Manchester and Barnard branch. At this time a good
many of the buildings were moved to be near the railroad
and it was then called Ada. The United States Government
authorities gave the town the name of Hot Hill in August 1872.
One month later, on September 26, 1872, the same
authorities changed the name to Ada. It is said that this was
a name suggested by Mrs. Lane who named it for a cousin in New York

The settlers began making improvements; roads were
mere trails,the overland stage was the only means
of travel; the ox team furnished the power for turning the soil;
gardens were planted; orchards and various trees were
set out; food was laid by for safe keeping for
their winter supply. Trees along the rivers and streams furnished
fuel and lumber
There were groves for shade and protection by nearly every dwelling house.

Early settlers: Ezra Baldwin ' s sons, Newton and Henry
after they were discharged from Libby Prison in Georgia, went back
home to Delaware County, Iowa, then to Sand Springs,
Ottawa County; Theo. Baldwin came in the summer of 1868,
settling on the banks of First Creek about four miles
northwest of Ada. His brother-in-law, Frank Ross, came with him
In the fall, Henry Baidwins came. Another brother,
R.E. Baldwin, came a couple of years later. They all
settled close there and this became known as the Baldwin Community.


RETURN TO INDEX

TOWNS