In Memory Of My Parents
- J is for the journey he has taken,
0 is only I am left to mourn;
H is for the hour he will awaken
Near the throne of God he will be
- And for me a light now points to
Mercy for my sins I now implore;
Earnestly I now recall the story___
Light through darkness shines for-
- ever more.
- I is for imperfect ways forgiven,
S is surely He will guide me home
Safely where the storm clouds all are
- A is always safe no more to roam.
S is safe and singing songs of glory
Q is quickly to obey the call.
Unto life it is the glad old story
Into life through Christ from Adam's
- R is for redeemed my chains are riven
Entered in salvation e'er too late.
- Father's name and mother's
here are given,
They have passed beyond the
- M is for the memory of a mother,
E is for glad eyes she now can see;
L is for the light no power can
- I is into immortality.
S is safe beyond this vale of weeping,
Safe into that bright celestial home.
A is always in God's blessed keeping,
And no more in darkness will she
J is joy to see his friends and meet
- On that bright and fair celestial
- H is hope that I some day will greet
- N is nearer home to part no more.
S is satisfied to dwell forever
Quietly where living waters fall.
Untold joys no power can ever sever
I immortal life beyond recall.
R is for remembrance we still miss
- Every day since they have gone
- Read the letters down, you'll
name my parents,
And we'll meet again to part no
__Nettie Squire Sutton.
A Book of Poems
Nettie Squire Sutton
(Minneapolis, KS: Messenger Press. n.d.)
July 15, 2003 /
John & Susan Howell /
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library