Some Shop Talk.
- WHEN the office is deserted in the evening, and
- your cares
- Have trooped off with the devil as he shuffles
- down the stairs,
- When you pace about your kingdom like a chain-
- ed and restless pup,
- And walk back to view the galley rack to see how
- much is up___
Before you go to supper, put your tired brain to
- And try to wash the kinks out with a quiet little
For it's smoke, smoke, smoke,
Makes the world seem like a joke;
With its whirling,
Where there's nothing that is sterling,
After all its strange unfurling
- Sit and laugh at "Old Subscriber" and the pa-
- pers marked "refused."
- Take a puff at the Alliance that imagines it's
- Smile in triumph at your banker and the man who
- holds your note;
- O'er your master, that old "plaster," gloat a tran-
- quil, haughty gloat.
- And as evening shadows thicken pull your weed
- until it beams;
- Suck sweet sunshine out of sadness in a cloud
- of silver dreams.
Oh, it's dreams, dreams, dreams;
Life is only what it seems;
And like mazy,
Dim and lazy,
Shifting cloud-forms weird and crazy,
Our distinctions are; so hazy,
Motes and beams___
__William Allen White.