70th Anniversary Edition
The Washington County Register
Friday, Sept. 16, 1938
Part 2 of 3
Contents of Part 2
Hollenberg -- Enosdale -- Greenleaf -- Kimeo -- Strawberry -- Barnes -- Hanover
Gerat H. Hollenberg came to Washington county, Kansas, in 1857, from Marshall county, and settled on the Fort Kearney overland road, 137 miles from St. Joe and two miles from the Nebraska line. Here Mr. Hollenberg opened the first store in Washington county. It was on this same ranch that he laid out and founded the town of Hollenberg, in 1872.
Soon after this the St. Joe & D. C. R. R. was extended to that point from Hanover. Hollenberg built a store on this town site which was occupied by William R. T. Kerr, who sold groceries, dry goods and notions. After the railroad reached the town, C. A. Fuller moved in, built a store, and opened out a stock of groceries in connection with a small saloon. A small school house was built the same year and school opened in the fall of 1872 with Miss Reynolds as teacher.
In 1879 A. C. Herring, John Mann and Messrs. Brown and McColleny built stores and put in groceries, hardware, dry goods, etc.
In 1872 a post office was established in Hollenberg and R. T. Kerr was named postmaster. At present Reuben Barr is postmaster. Hollenberg’s location on the north bank of the Little Blue River helped it a great deal in its early history as a trading post.
Gerat Hollenberg, one of the earliest pioneers of Washington county, had a great hand in the development of the county, founding two cities. Besides Hollenberg, he also founded the city of Hanover in 1869. A monument was placed in the Hanover cemetery shortly after his death. He died on the steamer Belvaria in 1874 as he was on his way to visit Germany, his homeland. He had been attracted to America first by the gold rush of ‘49.
Although there was little Indian trouble in Washington county, what there was seemed to center around the vicinity of Hollenberg. As early as 1544 when the Coronado expedition passed through Washington it is believed that he crossed the Little Blue near the present location of Hollenberg and he described it as a land in possession of a powerful and warlike tribe of Indians called the Pawnees. In 1864 a party of Cheyennes and Arapahoes, who were waging a war upon the white of Colorado and Western Kansas extended one of their expeditions into the valley of the Little Blue. They murdered and scalped a man named Kelley at Pawnee Station and a family of ten named Eubanks, and also several other persons. Mr. Hollenberg took an active part in mustering the state militia which drove the Indians out of the county.
An early historian reports that some of the best limestone quarries in the county were to be found near Hollenberg. Large quantities were shipped to Nebraska and other points outside the county. Fire and pottery clay, and gypsum were also to be found in the vicinity of the Little Blue. Sand coal was noticed cropping out in several parts of the county.
* * * *(By Mary O. Coleman)
The earliest settlers in the northeast part of Washington county came in 1857 and 1858.
James and Nancy Shields Elliott, with seven of their ten children—four of whom were married and had families of their own—came to this part of Kansas in July 1860 in company with the families of Thomas Soey and Mr. Shoup. The latter families had joined the Elliotts somewhere in Iowa and all traveled by ox team. Each of the five Elliott families brought into this new land a few head of cattle, a box of chickens, a chest or two for bedding and clothes, and a meager supply of dishes and cooking utensils. These early pioneers were little disturbed by their lack of material wealth but had an unlimited faith and hope for the future and in Divine providence.
On that fourth day of July, 1860, they found the grass, not the tall "blue-stem" as advertised but a growth only about three inches high and so dry that it crumbled as you trod upon it. The season was too far advanced to plant anything and too dry to even turn the sod.
When the Elliotts and their party arrived, they found three families already residing along the stream, then dry, which emptied into the Little Blue. These were the Charles A. Fullers, the Geo. E. Cadwells and Mrs. Rachel Gilmore and children. There were also four single men—namely, Charles T. Calender, Oliver Martin, Joseph Forkey, and A. S. Vaught.
The Fullers and the Cadwells came, originally, from New York, thence to Battle Creek, Mich., to Kankakee, Ill., and eventually to Washington County. Mrs. Gilmore and her children came from Ohio to make their home in the new land. Pennsylvania, Illinois, and the Carolinas were represented in the pioneer community by the single men.
Anthony S. Vaught was sent from one of the Carolinas into Kansas with a company of men to help make Kansas a slave state. Perhaps the freedom born of the great expanse of Kansas prairies, the bright sunshine and wholesome breeze changed his views—or perhaps it was the kindly Christian spirit of the people in the community—at any rate, he disbanded his men and sent them home. Not daring to return with them, he took up a claim and established what was known as Seventeen Mile Point on the Oregon Trail sometimes known, also, as the Military Road.
He proved a valuable asset to the community. He was either appointed or elected justice of the peace, and January 3, 1861, he officiated at the marriage of Lafayette Morgan and Rebecca Ann Elliott. This was among the first marriages, if not the first in the county after Washington county was detached from Marshall county.
In September of 1860 our first families, literally speaking, had to direct their attention, and their energies, to the procuring of their winter meat. A buffalo hunt was planned and six of the eight families were represented in the crowd that went out near White Rock on the Republican river, in what is now Republic county.
The one thing mentioned as having been grown that year was some half-dozen sweet pumpkins, raised by Mr. Cadwell, who generously shared them with his neighbors.
After the two weeks’ hunting trip, during which an abundant supply of meat, such as it was, had been killed and cured—the next step was to obtain the corn for bread.
With the exception of a deep snow and zero weather early in December, the winter of 1860 and 1861 was fine and the spring came early. In favorable places there were even flowers that bloomed in February.
On the Fourth of July, 1861, the first celebration was held in the grove along Mill Creek, south and east of Washington, on M. G. Driskell’s claim. This is now known as the Carter place or McAlpine farm. G. H. Hollenberg brought a four-horse load from his community and many came by ox team. A Mr. Lott drove a team of elk; Mr. Fox was the orator of the day. The fact that war had been declared was no doubt responsible for the intense feeling of patriotism that prevailed. There seemed to be an abundance of food as well as plenty of candy for the youngsters.
Wild turkey, deer and antelope were plentiful in 1861. There was also the menace of coyotes and the big grey wolves which killed pigs and calves. Three of these wolves attacked a yearling heifer, belonging to my grandfather, and chased her into the barn lot--desisting only when shot at. After poisoning a number of these wolves they seemed to disappear.
Sunday school was organized and prayer meetings held weekly early in 1861. These were held in private homes and later on in the summer, the Rev. R. Harford, from Manhattan, held a camp meeting in the grove north of Mr. Cadwell’s home. The result of this was the establishment of a church which continued for ten or more years until it was combined with that of Hollenberg.
This is not a bona fide history of those early days, but just a few facts that will show what those early settlers had to endure in order to survive.
Perhaps the most inspiring thought to be gleaned from recalling those early days is the loyal, friendly spirit with which those hardy pioneers fought shoulder to shoulder for their common good and the progress of the state they loved.
City Incorporated In July, 1937
The first Hollenberg city election which was held July 30, 1937, resulted in the election of Mrs. Mabel Barr as mayor; Harry Henderson, Lee Meyer, George Sutton and John Mueller as councilmen. Mrs. Geo. Parks was appointed to fill the chair of the fifth member of the council.
All but one of the citizens ticket were elected--Henry Mahlman, candidate for mayor was defeated by 10 votes, 19 to 29.
Much Promotional Work
For many weeks prior to the election, a number of Hollenberg business men put forth much time and effort in promoting the idea of incorporating the town into a third class city. With the installation of electric power in the town and the improvement of business conditions the logical step appeared to be incorporation of the town.
The caucus was held July 19, 1937 for the purpose of nominating candidates for the city election. George Lewis was named chairman.
The present mayor is Mrs. G. R. Barr. The present council consists of Mrs. Threse Parks, Mrs. Marion LePage, Harry Henderson and L. L. Lehmeyer. Mrs. Lehmeyer is City Clerk and Mrs. Townsend is City Treasurer.
A "Golden Club" consisting of couples who have been married for 50 years or more was organized in August of 1937 by five couples who lived in the Hollenberg community during their early life. The above picture shows four of these couples who gathered at the Washington City park with their families and formed this Club. The other couple, Mr. And Mrs. Litchenberger were unable to attend due to illness.
The five couples are Mrs. And Mrs. Alonzo Rhodes, now of Washington, Mr. And Mrs. Robert Litchenberger of Hollenberg, Mr. And Mrs. Frank Martin, now of Washington, Mr. And Mrs. John T. Lewis, now of Morrowville, and Mr. And Mrs. Charles Justis of Hollenberg.
Floyd Fisher is owner of the general store in Hollenberg. He sells groceries, meats, dry goods, and hardware.
The store was organized in 1932. Mr. And Mrs. Fisher have lived in Washington county for 4 years. He is a member of the Methodist church.
Jerpe Commission Company
Harry Mowry, manager of the Jerpe Commission Company cream and poultry station in Hollenberg has lived in Hollenberg during his entire life. He farmed in Hollenberg until last year when he was injured by a falling horse. Since that time he has been manager of the cream station.
His father, George Mowry, who died in 1919, was one of the old settlers of the Hollenberg community. He operated the farm two miles west of Hollenberg for many years and was widely known and respected throughout that section of the county.
The Jerpe Commission Company has its headquarters in Omaha. The station buys cream, poultry, from most of the farmers in the Hollenberg community.
Harry Mowry married the former Miss Ethel Fuhrken, of Washington. They have one girl, eight years old.
Farmers Oil & Supply Company
The Farmers Oil and Supply Company, now jointly operated by Wm. Stewart, jr., and his brother, Wayne Stewart, was organized in Hollenberg by their father, William Stewart, sr., in 1928. Since that time the business has grown in spite of lean years, and is well regarded in their trade territory. The elder Mr. Stewart moved to Diller, Nebr., in April, 1936 after turning over the Hollenberg business to his sons.
They have lived in Hollenberg for ten years and in the county during their entire lifetime. Both Wayne and William, jr., are married. Wayne married the former Mildred Cercle and has two children. William Jr. married Lois Dawdy of Morrowville.
W. E. Stewart, sr., is one of the pioneers of Washington county and has lived here for 58 years. 2 miles west of the Scruby school is the old Stewart homestead. Mr. Stewart is a member of the Baptist church.
The Farmers Oil and Supply Company is a cooperative concern. Farmers around Hollenberg own shares of stock in the company and receive regular dividends. Cooperative gas and oil are sold at the store and from tank wagon.
Hollenberg Lumber Company
L. L. Meyer is the manager of the Hollenberg Lumber Company, which is owned by his brother, John D. Meyer of Washington.
Mr. L. L. Meyer and family came to Washington county from Illinois thirty years ago. He, with his brother, organized the Hollenberg Lumber Company in January, 1924. Mrs. L. L. Meyer is the former Hilda Seitz who lived in Washington county all her life. They have two young sons, Lowell 7, and Louis 3.
The J. Henry Meyer family lived north of Washington and was one of the early pioneer families of the county. Late in the '90's they moved to Illinois but moved back to Washington county in 1907. For the past ten years he has lived in Washington City.
The Hollenberg Lumber Company is the only lumber business in Hollenberg and has a fine stock of lumber, hardware, coal, cement and paint -- a source of everything needed in building supplies.
Enosdale is located six miles west and three miles south of Washington city.
The store in Enosdale is owned and managed by Mr. Ernie Lahodny who has lived there for three years. He came to Enosdale from Republic county.
Groceries, meats, feed, gasoline, oil and tires are sold by the Enosdale Store. Mr. Lahodny married Miss Merle Anderson and they have a year-old son. Mrs. Lahodny's parents are Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Anderson who have lived in Washington county all of their lives.
Greenleaf Preceded By Round Grove
The City of Greenleaf is located about six miles east and four miles south of Washington.
The town was located and laid out by the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad Company on the 1st day of November, 1876, and was named Greenleaf, after Hon, A. W. Greenleaf, treasurer of that company. The railroad reached this point December 15, 1876, and although it was continued on to Washington, Greenleaf was considered the terminus of the main road until its extension further west in 1877.
Prior to the laying out of Greenleaf, a small town had been started at what was known as Round Grove, two miles south by W. P. Kelch. Sevecal stores were started, a post office, and J. A. Simmons appointed postmaster. A school house was also built. But when the new town was laid out, everything was moved away, and the town of Round Grove was abandoned. Mr. A. A. Young started the first store in November, 1876. R. W. Barritt started a store the month following. R. Carnes came the same month and started the first drug store and A. Snyder built the Greenleaf House.
September 1, 1880, E. E. Haddocks presented a petition signed by 100 persons, to Judge A. S. Wilson, asking that Greenleaf be declared a city of the third class, which was granted, the city being incorporated September 6, 1880, and the first election was held September 7. The first officers were: Mayor -- William Bigler; Councilmen -- E. J. C. Smith, A. C. Maxwell, S. H. Myers, W. J. Huckett, and W. H. Barlow; Clerk -- R. Coyth; Treasurer -- F. Scott; Police Judge -- J. W. Bliss; City Marshal -- E. E. Haddocks.
When the town was started, in 1876, Mr. A. W. Greenleaf, for whom the town was named, obligated himself to donate a present of some description, to the first child born within the limits of the town and it was born to Mr. and Mrs. A. Snyder, and was named Ralph Greenleaf Snyder.
A certified account of this fact was forwarded to Mr. Greenleaf, who immediately forwarded to the father of the illustrious youth the promised present, consisting of a handsome silver cup, with the following inscription engraved thereon: To RALPH GREENLEAF SNYDER, May 25th, 1877, from A. W, GREENLEAF, N. Y.
The first Catholic services held in Greenleaf were in the winter of 1871 at a private home with Father Louis Mollier of St. Joseph in charge. He remained in charge of church work until March, 1880, the services being held at the house of S. Lanoux. On account of the increase of the congregation, Kimeo and Greenleaf were separated and Father Christophers took charge of the Greenleaf parish in 1888. In 1903 the church was repaired and remodeled and in 1904 the congregation built a parsonage.
Present City Officials
H. H, Kappelman, or "Dutch" as he is called, is Mayor of Greenieaf, which position he has held since 1930. The members of the Greenleaf City Council are E. W. Holden, sr., M. A, Wurtz, Daniel Martin, A. D. Leiber, and S. F. Padgett. R. G. Fagan is City Clerk.
Mayor H. H. Kappelman
H. H. Kappelman, the Mayor of Greenleaf, is a lover of nature and very much interested in parks, bees, birds, and in fact any rock or babbling brook. "Dutch" as he is known in this section of the state, has a wonderful rock garden in which he has a rock from every state in the United States and eleven foreign countries.
He has one rock from the Great Wall of China that was built 2,200 years ago, this wall being 1,600 miles long. He has one brought to him by one of Admiral Byrd’s party on the last trip to the South Pole. His garden contains one rock that floats and a piece of wood that sinks. There are also 68 species of cactus in this garden.
Mr. Kappelman keeps a register of all visitors which contains the names of 7,000 who have visited this garden since March 1, 1936.
Mr. Kappelman is married and has two daughters who assist with this beautiful spot at their home.
Mayor Kappelman has provided some effective leadership for his city since he became Mayor in 1930. When he took office the city’s bonded debt was $50,000. This has been reduced to $1,000. All payments have been made promptly. He is an enthusiastic supporter of the Cash Basis law.
He has lived in Greenleaf for 16 years and in Washington county 47 years. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Kappelman, moved near Linn in 1870.
Green Tavern Cafe
The Green Tavern Cafe in Greenleaf is owned by Mr. Ed Kmeck. He serves meals, short orders, lunches, cold drinks, and ice cream.
The cafe was started in 1933 by Al Schultz and was purchased in 1935 by Mr. Kmeck. He came to Greenleaf in 1931 from Detroit, Mich. During 1937 he served as manager of the baseball team which was sponsored by the Greenleaf Booster Club. He is married and has one son, Eddie, who is 11 years old.
Mrs. Kmeck’s parents are Mr. and Mrs. George Bennett who have lived in Washington county for 40 years. For the past three years her father has lived on a farm three miles east of Greenleaf.
Greenleaf has a third class post office and John McGrath is serving his third year as post master. He was born in Greenleaf and has lived there for 42 years.
Mr. McGrath is a veteran of the World War, having served for 18 months in the 35th Division. He is a member of the Shaw Post of the American Legion and of the Greenleaf Booster Club. Before becoming postmaster Mr. McGrath was in the livestock business. He graduated from Washington high school with the class of 1915.
P. H. McGrath, one of the pioneers of Washington county, the father of John McGrath, came to this county in 1870. He now lives in Greenleaf.
Mrs. John McGrath was formerly Miss Mary Harr. They have four children: Gabriel, Paul, Audrey and Virginia.
W. C. (Clayton) Park
W. C. (Clayton) Park is the owner of the Phillips 66 Service Station in Greenleaf. Besides Phillips gas and oil, Firestone tires and Lee tires are handled.
W. C. Park was born in Washington county but moved to Kansas City six years ago where he was an apartment manager for a while and worked on the railroad. In June, 1936, they returned to Greenleaf and in June, 1937 they bought the station.
Mrs. Park was a daughter of John R. Norris, who lives near Greenleaf. They have two children, Evelyn Marie and Marion Junior.
Mr. John Park, father of Clayton, has been running the pumping station in Greenleaf for the past 30 years. Before that he worked in the ice plant in Washington.
Red & White Store
Glenn Ayres manages the Red & White Store in Greenleaf which is owned by Andy Ayres. He sells groceries and meats. The store has been organized in Greenleaf for 34 years.
Mr. Ayres has lived in Greenleaf all his life. He is a member of the Christian church. His father is Andy Ayres.
The Farmers Store
The Farmers Store in Greenleaf is one of the most sussessful cooperatives in Washington county. It has been organized since 1912 and has paid dividends since 1920. It is a general store and handles groceries, dry goods, hardware, meats, shoes, poultry and cream. There are 120 stock-holders, approximately.
The officers of the store are A. J. Bolinger, president and A. C. Hansen, secretary. Directors are Wm. Poutre, E. H. Lohmeyer, Herman Hatesohl, J. P. Klataske and A. C. Talbot.
M. Wurtz, sr., and his two sons, J. J. Wurtz and M. A. Wurtz and his daughter, Miss Gertrude Wurtz, have managed this store since 1918.
M. Wurtz, sr., came to America in 1873 from Alsace-Lorraine. He ran the Strawberry store for 11 years, farmed for a few years, owned a store at Lanham for six years, one at Waterville for two years, and had a store in Greenleaf before the war.
M. A. Wurtz married Miss Rhea Hogue. They have three children, Frances, Carol and Matt, jr. He is a member of the city council, is fire chief, and served in the World War in the 35th Division.
J. J. Wurtz married Miss Marie Fagan. They have four children, Gerald, Jimmie, John and Bernadette. He has been director of the school board for the last 11 years, served in the World War in the 35th Division.
Rexall Drug Store
The Rexall Drug Store in Greenleaf, known as the Miller Drug Store is owned by Frank Miller.
Mr. Miller moved to Greenleaf 26 years ago from Olsburg, Kansas. He started to work for Dr. Gardner in the drug store in 1912 and bought it from him in 1912. Dr. Gardner had owned the store for 45 years.
Mr. Miller is a member of the Methodist church and of the Masonic lodge. He is a treasurer of the school board which position he has held for 7 years. He is also interested in civic affairs and is a member of the Booster Club.
Mr. and Mrs. Miller have three sons and one daughter. The sons are Melvin, 19, Lloyd 14, and Ralph, 10. The daughter is Mrs. Harold Powell of Rochester, Minn.
Barker Produce Co.
The Barker Produce Company in North Greenleaf is managed by Mr. Merle Barker. He has lived in Greenleaf since 1933 when he bought the produce station.
Mr. Barker was born in Barnes and lived on a farm near Barnes until moving to Greenleaf. He married Miss Faye Cope and they have one boy, Francis, who is fifteen years old. Mr. Barker’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Barker live near Barnes and celebrated their fifty-fourth wedding anniversary recently. They have lived in Washington county for fifty-five years.
F. J. Blanchette
F. J. Blanchette managed the Swift and Company cream station in Greenleaf.
Mr. Blanchette started in the station in 1927. Before that he lived on a farm 4-1/2 miles from Greenleaf. His wife was formerly Miss Ida poutre. They have four children. They are Mrs. Eva Friend of Salina, Mrs. Rose Potter of Marysville, George of Chicago, and Eddie of Greenleaf.
Nelson Bros. Motor Company
The Nelson Brothers Motor Company is owned and managed by two brothers, Leslie and Neal. They have Ford Sales & Service, Goodyear tires, radios and tractors.
They organized the Motor Company in 1929 and moved to Greenleaf in 1930, although they had lived in Washington county all of their lives. Leslie is married and has one daughter, Margaret who is six years old.
Their parents are Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Nelson who have lived in the county all of their lives. Thcy have lived on the same farm since their marriage.
Finley & Durham
E. R. Finley and L. C. Finley manage the Greenleaf branch of the Finley & Durham Machinery Company. They sell the Allis-Chalmers line of power farm machinery.
E. R. Finley has lived in Greenleaf for 11 years and in Washington county for 56 years. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Finley who lived in the county for 75 years. Mrs. John Finley still lives in Greenleaf. E. R. Finley has four children. They are Mrs. Melvin Behrens of Clyde, Leland of Levier, Idaho, Mary Finley of Greenleaf, and L. C. who is in the store with his father. L. C. Finley is a member of the Methodist church and is Superintendent of the Sunday school. A. C. Durham, the other partner, manages the Washington branch of the firm.
The IGA Store
The IGA Store in Greenleaf is owned and managed by E. A. Schleier. He handles a complete line of IGA groceries, fresh meats and fresh vegetables. The store was the old market and was bought by Mr. Schleier in 1924.
Mr. Schleier has lived in Washington county for 51 years, living 4 miles southeast of Greenleaf before buying the store. He is married and has two children. Donald is working for the Missouri Pacific railroad and Miss Violet graduated from nurse’s training in Kansas City.
His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ibie Schleier came to Washington county from Germany in 1869. They homesteaded two miles south and two miles east of Greenleaf. Mrs. Ibie Schleier is still living and still owns this original homestead.
T. J. Hogan
T. J. Hogan, present secretary-treasurer of the Kimeo Farm Loan Association, has seen the firm grow, since it was organized in 1916, to the prominent associaton it is today; his leadership being no small part of the reason for its success. The principle business of the firm is the servicing of Federal Land Bank loans. From 1916 until 1928, Mr. Hogan was President of the Association.
Born in Marshall county, Mr. Hogan moved to this county with his parents in 1878 and has resided in the county since. He is an active member of the Catholic church, a Woodman and a member of the Greenleaf Booster Club. The Hogans have five children, Mertle Rice, Greenleaf, Lloyd Hogan, Marysville, May Hogan, Concordia, Austin Hogan, Kimeo township, and Harold Hogan of the home.
Mr. Hogan has always been prominent in the affairs of his community, having served as Kimeo township clerk two terms and on the school board 30 some years.
Mr. and Mrs. James Hogan, parents of Mr. Hogan, came to this county from Canada, Mrs. Hogan being a native of Ireland. They homesteaded in 1868, and farmed successfully all their lives -- true pioneers of this great state of Kansas.
Citizens National Bank
Twenty-three years ago J. M. Padgett and Dr. M. N. Gardner organized the Citizens National Bank and today the bank still remains under the same management in Greenleaf. J. M. Padgett is the president and S. H. Padgett is the cashier. H. M. Ryland acts as assistant cashier.
Directors of the Citizens National Bank are: F. N. Thorman, E. F. Shinn, Henry Hatesohl, M. F. Gardner, Herman Hatesohl, J. M. Padgett, and S. H. Padgett. The motto of the bank is safe -- sound -- conservative.
The unincumbered Capital Account exceeds $36,000.00 all home owned. The bank has 700 depositors with total deposits exceeding $200,000.00.
Greenleaf State Bank
The oldest bank in Greenleaf is the Greenleaf State Bank which was established in 1886. It has built up its deposits until on June 30, 1938, they totalled $128,028.63. The capital stock is $25,000 and the surplus and undivided profits total $2,775.68.
Frank Gotfredson is president of the bank and Hans Skovgard is vice-president. The cashier is J. F. Ayres who has served in that capacity since 1918.
Mr. Ayres has lived in Greenleaf practically all of his life. Before working in the bank he helped his father in their general store. He has one son, Richard Ayres of La Crosse, Kansas. Richard is an attorney and works with the John Deere Plow Co. Mrs. Sherman Kirkpatrick of Ploto, Okla., is a daughter of J. F. Ayres. The assistant cashier of the bank is C. F. Mericle.
The Skelly Station
Bert A. Terry has operated the Skelly Station in Greenleaf owned by Byron Freeby since May of this year. Before that he had driven a tank wagon for the Standard Oil Company since he came to Greenleaf in 1934 from May Day, Kans. The Skelly Station was built in 1930. Skelly gasoline, oils and greases are sold. Gas is also sold from the tank wagon.
O. L. McKelvy
O. L. McKelvy manages the McAllister-Fitzgerald Lumber Company branch in Greenleaf. He sells lumber, coal, builder’s hardware, and all kinds of building materials.
Mr. McKelvy came to Greenleaf one year ago from Kansas City, Mo. He is a member of the Methodist church and of the Greenleaf Booster club. He is married and has a 20-month old son, Marion.
His parents are Mr. and Mrs. W. P. McKelvy of Waterville.
Mrs. Jennie Atkinson
Mrs. Jennie Atkinson is one of the business women of Greenleaf. She has owned the Atkinson Store for 8 years. This store sells shoes and dry goods and is one of the old businesses of Greenleaf, being organized in 1884.
Mrs. Atkinson came to Greenleaf 35 years ago from England. She is a member of the Rebekah lodge and of the Lutheran church. Her husband, John A., organized the store in 1884. At first they handled only shoes and then it became a general store. They have three children, all of whom live at home. They are Barbara, John W. and Jacqueline.
Peterson's Cash Store
Peterson’s Cash Store in Greenleaf is managed by L. E. Peterson. It consists of a variety store and a cleaning and pressing establishment.
Mr. Peterson has lived in Greenleaf all of his life and bought the store in 1933. He married Miss Frances Davis. His parents are Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Peterson who own the greenhouse in Greenleaf. Miss Pauline Peterson, a sister of L. E. also works in the store.
W. D. Bechtel
W. D. Bechtel is lessee of the Cities Service Station in Greenleaf. The station was organized in 1923 and Mr. Bechtel became lessee in 1924.
Mr. Bechtel came to Washington county in 1904 from Pawnee City, Nebr. He has lived in Greenleaf since 1910. He is a member of the Woodman lodge and of the Booster Club. He is married.
Tauber Furniture Store
F. J. Tauber owns the Tauber Furniture Store in Greenleaf. He sells furniture, paint, wall paper and rugs and also has an undertaking establishment.
Mr. Tauber was born in Austria and came to the United States 59 years ago. He came to Greenleaf in 1901 from Iowa City, Iowa. He is a member of the Waltman A. O. U. W. lodge. He is married and has one daughter, Mrs. Bessie B. Groothius of Greenleaf.
The store was organized by Mr. Tauber in 1901 and a new building was built in 1933.
M. Thinnes Hardware
One of the oldest businesses in Greenleaf is the M. Thinnes Hardware owned by M. Thinnes and his son-in-law, E. W. Holden.
Mr. Thinnes came to Greenleaf in July, 1881, and worked at the tinner’s trade. In 1882 he started his own tin shop. He erected the present store building in 1886 and with his brother, Peter J. opened the Hardware Store on January 1, 1887, and has been in this location ever since, almost 52 years.
His brother, Pete, was associated with him until his death in 1910, after which Mat became the sole owner.
On January 1, 1916, Edgar W. Holden, who came from Terre Haute, Indiana, became a partner in the M. Thinnes Hardware Co. He is manager of the store today although Mr. Thinnes is still active at the store every day and will soon be 79 years old.
Mr. Thinnes has always been a leader and booster in civic affairs. He was mayor of Greenleaf from 1927 to 1929. He retired two years ago as Republican committeeman after many years of service. Mr. and Mrs. Thinnes celebrated their golden wedding. anniversary, September 1, 1937.
Mr. Holden graduated from Rose Polytechnic Institute at Terre Haute and then entered newspaper work. He served as editor on several papers before coming to Greenleaf. He served as city treasurer from 1925 to 1929 and is now a member of the council.
Peterson Shoe Shop
A. C. Peterson owns and manages the Peterson Shoe Shop of Greenleaf which is located in the northern part of main street. Mr. Peterson repairs shoes, harness and canvas.
Mr. Peterson has lived in Greenleaf since 1930 when he bought the shoe shop. Before that he farmed two miles south of Greenleaf. He married , Miss Hazel Prine and they have three children, Robert, Willadene and Laurel. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. L. J. Peterson who farmed south of Greenleaf until their death.
Clifford Cook operates a lunch room and pool hall in Greenleaf. He has lived in Greenleaf for the last seven years but purchased the lunch room just this year. He is also engine watchman on the Missouri Pacific railroad.
Mr. Cook is the son of Mrs. Nida Cook of Barnes. He was born on a farm near Barnes and lived there until moving to Greenleaf. Mrs. Clifford Cook was Miss Eva Bane. They have one son, Wayne.
One of the largest businesses in Greenleaf is the Leiber Hardware owned by Charles Leiber. Besides a complete line of hardware, Mr. Leiber sells oil, twine, repairs, McCormick-Deering implements, and Chrysler-Plymouth cars.
Mr. Leiber was born in Missouri and came to Washington county in 1917. In 1932 he bought the Leiber Hardware. He has another store in Waterville similar to the one in Greenleaf.
He married Miss Faye Runkle. He is a member of the Booster Club. One of Mr. Leiber’s hobbies is hunting and he makes a hunting trip to Nebraska every year.
Dr. Z. H. Snyder
Dr. Z. H. Snyder has ministered to the sick in and near Greenleaf for the past 33 years. The two years preceding that he practiced at Palmer.
He came to Washington county in 1903 from Butler, Pa., after graduating from Iowa University. Since that time he has taken post graduate work in several medical colleges. Dr. Snyder is a member of the Booster Club, of the Masonic lodge and of the Methodist church. Mrs. Snyder was formerly Alberta M. Miller and they have one daughter, Mrs. Charles Harkness.
Walter Hohlfeld owns and manages two businesses in Greenleaf. He has managed the Hohlfeld Electric Co. since he moved into the building just this year although he has been in electric work since 1922. He also owns the Elite Theatre in Greenleaf, which he started in 1925.
Mr. Hohlfeld is married and has one son, David, who is four years old. He is a member of the Greenleaf Booster Club.
He has the Frigidaire agency for electric refrigerators and also sells air-conditioning outfits, radios and electric light plants.
Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Tooley have owned a grocery store in Greenleaf since 1907. They came to Washington from Concordia in 1900, and to Greenleaf in 1907.
Mr. Tooley is a member of the Methodist church and of the Booster Club. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. John B. Tooley. They were pioneers of Cloud county and came there in 1886 from Glasco, Mo.
A. L. Tooley has conducted this grocery business longer than any other grocery merchant in Greenleaf. He handles a complete line of groceries and fruit.
The store in Kimeo is owned by L. J. Hoover. He purchased it in 1909 from W. J. McNamara who built it in 1904. Mrs. Hoover manages the store and Mr. Hoover is manager of the Farmers Co-op Elevator association in Greenleaf. W. H. Knight owned the old Kimeo Store and was the merchant there for a number of years.
The Stars Bend Down
The meadows stretch serene beneath their light;
The duck ponds hold their twinkling image fast;
The blades of corn wave softly in the night;
Across still fields a lambent gleam is cast;
Tall mountains reach, too, boldly to the sky;
The stars bend down where level pastures lie.
They shine upon the homestead, touch a hill,
Or perch within the fallen trees. A few
Outline the windmills slender tower until
The breeze of dawn comes whispering anew.
Great city lights blot out and dim their charm,
The stars are happiest above a farm.
-- Frances Rider
A. C. Leiszler own and manages the store in Strawberry. This is a general store and sells dry goods, groceries, meats, gas, oil and tires.
Mr. Leiszler has owned this store since 1909. Before that he lived in Brantford. He has lived in Washington county for 59 years. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Leiszler who lived in Strawberry until their death. They were both born in Germany.
Mr. Leiszler married Miss Grace Howley and they have three sons and one daughter. The daughter is Mrs. Ivan Kohlmeyer of Wymore, Nebr. The sons all own service stations and sell Phillips "66" gasoline. They are Delbert L. of Linn; Arthur of Clifton; and Glen L. who is bulk agent for Phillips "66" at Clay Center and who owns the east station in Washington.
Henry Ober First To Build
Barnes is located near the Washington-Marshall county line, near the head of North Coon Creek. The Missouri Pacific railroad was completed to this point in the latter part of November, 1876, and was extended on to Greenleaf immediately.
The first one to build on this town site was Henry Ober who erected a store building and moved the Maplewood Grange store to this point. Elm Grove Post Office was established in July, 1875. J. R. Ober was the first post master. The office was kept on the old Haynes place. In January, 1876, Mr. Ober started a store, and in March 1877, Elm Grove Post Office was moved to Barnes and the name of the office changed to Barnes Post Office.
Maplewood Grange was organized in the fall of 1874. A cooperative Grange store was established, with E. K. Woolverton as Superintendent. Afterward it was moved to the house of J. G. Petty, and from there to Barnes. In May and June, the Maplewood Grange built an elevator at Barnes at a cost of about $800.
The members of the English Lutheran church organized at this point in August, 1879, by J. Shaurer, at Mr. Ober’s store. They built their church in 1880. The Congregationalists in the neighborhood organized a class in 1877. They held services in the Grange elevator in 1878.
Ed Wohler is Mayor of Barnes at present. Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Shannon edit the Barnes Chief.
Lawrence Koplin has barbered in Barnes for five years. He formerly lived south of Greenleaf with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Koplin, who have lived in Washington county for over fifty years. His wife was Miss Ruby Parrack before her marriage.
C. B. Ingman
Manager of the Farmers Oil and Supply Company in Barnes is C. B. Ingman. The station was organized in 1933. Emil Karas is the local director. The patronage dividends paid to customers aggregate $8,000. Globe gasoline, oil, tires and accessories are sold by the station.
Mr. Ingman has lived in Washington county for 54 years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge and the American Legion. In the World War he was in the 80 field artillery of the Seventh Division. He is a widower and has one daughter, Margaret, who lives in Atlanta, Ga.
Mr. Fred Roper, who came to Barnes in 1876 from Boone Co., Ill., has a Harness Shop in Barnes today. He started the shop in 1916 and his son, Floyd, joined him in the business in 1937. Fred Roper is a member of the Methodist church and of the Odd Fellow lodge. In 1882 he was married and he has two children, Floyd, and Mrs. Frank Hill of Hill City.
Floyd Roper married Miss Dora Wische and they have two sons, Victor who is a senior in high school and Ralph who completed a short course at Kansas State last year.
Dr. C. A. Bruer
Dr. C. A. Bruer, physician and surgeon, came to Barnes a year ago from Garden City. He graduated from Kirksville, Mo., in 1935, and then practiced in Garden City for two years.
Dr. Bruer is a member of the Christian church and the Odd Fellow lodge. He is married and has one son, Vernon. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Omer A. Bruer, live in Pontiac, Ill.
Barnes Cash Hardware
The Barnes Cash Hardware is owned by Mrs. Albert Timpe of Atchison and is manag.ed by Mr. Marion Oberhelman. Mr. Fred Stolzer started the Hardware two years ago and it was purchased by its present management last fall.
Mr. Oberhelman has lived in Barnes for 18 years. He is a member of the Methodist church. Before becoming manager of the Cash Hardware he farmed near Barnes. He is the son of O. F. Oberhelman of Manhattan.
All kinds of hardware, Great Western and Nesco stoves, and repairs for International machinery are sold.
Charles Butler has been manager of the Barnes Cooperative Store since April, 1938, but the store has been organized for the past two yeal’s. Clay Ingman is president of the Cooperative. Groceries, meats and fresh fruits are sold.
Mr. Butler came to Barnes from Augusta. He is a member of the Methodist church and the Masonic lodge. He is married and has one son, Russell, who is manager of a store at Winfield. He also has one daughter, Mrs. Frank Kiser, of Leon, Kansas.
Fagan General Store
The R. G. Fagan General Store in Barnes has been organized there for the past 12 years. General merchandise is handled.
Mr. Fagan has lived in Washington county all of his life and is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Fagan, also of Barnes. He is a member of the Catholic church. During the war he served in the 35th Division.
He has six children: Kathryn Ann, Donald, Tom, John, and Neal and Noel, 11-year-old twins.
Les Beiters has been manager of the Skelly Service Station in Barnes since he purchased it eight years ago. He sells Skelly gas, Penzoil, Exide batteries, and Goodyear tires.
Mr. Beiters is a member of the Christian church. His wife was formerly Maude Fickel, and they have four children, Nadine, Mary Ann, Lester Junior, and June.
Mr. Beiters has lived in Barnes all of his life except for three years he spent in California. His father, the late D. R. Beiters, came to Washington county in 1869. He homesteaded with soldier’s rights two miles north of Greenleaf.
Barnes Co-operative Association
The Barnes Co-operative Association owns the east elevator in Barnes. It has been under their management for 40 years. Jesse Bartley is the director of the association and Herman Wieters is manager of the elevator. Besides buying and selling grain and custom grinding, coal, feed, flour, oyster shell, field seeds, vegetables and fruit in season are handled. The company has about 30 stockholders, Dan Combow is secretary.
Mr. Wieters came to Washington county 30 years ago from Marshall county and has lived in Barnes for eight years. He is the father of six children, all who live near Barnes. They are Fred, Herman, Albert, George, Mrs. Adolph Wichman and Mrs. Virgil Woerman. Besides managing the elevator Mr. Wieters is also vice-president of the Barnes telephone company.
State Exchange Bank
The State Exchange Bank of Barnes was founded in 1886 and now has a capital of $25,000 and a surplus of $5,500.
C. M, Clark is president and has been with the bank for 33 years. J. W. Thompson is vice-president and Lawrence Pfieffer is cashier. Elston Klocke js bookkeeper,
The directors are C. M. Clark, J. W. Thompson, Lawrence Pfieffer, Winona Clark and Anna B. Copeland.
Mr. Warren Wesche has lived in Barnes for 40 years and in 1930 he purchased Mike’s Cafe. He serves meals, ice cream, short orders, and cold drinks.
Mr. Wesche served in the World War in the 69th infantry of the 10th Division and is now active in the American Legion in Barnes. He married Miss Mabel Brandt and they have two sons, Delmar and Kenneth.
Warren Wesche’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wesche, are pioneer farmers of Barnes. They now live on a farm near Barnes.
Mr. Howard Schleier is the owner of the IGA grocery store in Barnes. The store was started in 1930 as a meat market and groceries were added to the stock in 1934.
Mr. Schleier has lived in Barnes for 25 years and is a member of the Catholic church. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will. A. Schleier, have lived close to Barnes all of their lives. They assist him in the store.
Mr. and Mrs. George Harris own and manage Sadie’s Cafe in Barnes. They came to Barnes in March of 1938 from Manhattan where Mr. Harris had been in construction work.
Mrs. Harris was born on a farm near Barnes and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Bolejack. They lived on the same farm for 75 years and now live in Barnes. Mr. Bolejack’s father, Samuel Bolejack, homesteaded on the farm in 1864.
Meals, short orders, ice cream, and cold drinks are served at Sadie’s Cafe.
Clover Farm Store
Dan Nanninga is the owner and manager of the Clover Farm Store in Barnes, a home-owned store. The store was started by Sam Pickett and bought by Mr. Nanninga in October, 1937.
Mr. Nanninga came to Barnes last year from near Leonardville where he had been farming. He is married and has one son, Donnard.
Clover Farm groceries and meats are sold by the store.
Ed F. Wohler
The Wohler Service Station in Barnes is owned by Ed F. Wohler who also finds time to serve as Mayor. Sinclair gasoline and oil and Firestone tires are sold by the Wohler Station. Mr. Wohler came to Washington county 24 years ago from Riley county. He is a member of the Masonic lodge. Before starting the station in 1931 he farmed west of Barnes. Besides being Mayor, Mr. Wohler is also township clerk.
He is married and has one son and two daughters. The son, Howard, lives in Eureka, Calif. Mrs. Clifford Crain, who lives 10 miles southwest of Barnes and Miss Neva June Wohler of the home are his two daughters.
Wolverton & Son Store
Wolverton & Son Store, one of the two hardware stores in Barnes, was established in 1910 by F. C. Wolverton. In 1931 his son, L. E. Wolverton became a partner in the business. Hardware and furniture are sold by the store and L. E. Wolverton is a licensed embalmer.
F. C. Wolverton was born in Washington county 63 years ago. His father was E. K. Wolverton, one of the first settlers of Washington county.
L. E. Wolverton married Miss Mildred Wray and they have one daughter, Janice. L. E. Wolverton has been county coroner for the past two years and he is the Democratic precinct committeeman for Barnes.
Little Janice Wolverton has the distinction of having four great-grandparents who homesteaded within four miles of Barnes.
J. P. Farrell
J. P. Farrell has managed the Solt Lumber & Coal Company in Barnes for the past 10 years. Besides lumber and coal, a complete line of all kinds of building materials is handled.
Mr. Farrell is a member of the Catholic church and of the Woodman lodge. He has lived in Washington county for 55 years and farmed before moving to Barnes. He is married and has one son, Sheldon, who lives in San Pedro, Calif., and is a graduate of Kansas University.
Mr. Farrell’s father, the late Thomas Farrell, was one of the earliest pioneers of the county. He homesteaded 12 miles east of Washington near the Lone Star school. He served on the Lone Star school board for 38 years which is just about a record.
Thomas Farrell had an interesting experience which his son recalls. A prairie fire started near where Enosdale now is and burned as far as the Big Blue River east of Washington. Mr. Farrell plowed a fireguard with two yokes of oxen and saved the house.
Ricard & Augustus Elevator
Mr. Glen Ricard and Mr. Harry Augustus own the Ricard & Augustus elevator in Barnes. Feeds, grain and implements are sold. It was organized in 1935.
Mr. Glen O. Ricard, who manages the elevator, lived in Washington county from 1902 to 1910 when he moved to Marshall county. He moved back to Barnes in 1937. He has one daughter, Mrs. Mildred Taplin, who lives in Marshall county.
City Founded in 1869 By G. H. Hollenberg
The town of Hanover in Washington county, was laid out by G. H. Hollenberg in 1869. It was incorporated in 1872. It is situated in the fertile valley of the Little Blue river, and contains 500 inhabitants. Its success and prosperity was largely due to the energy of its first proprietor, G. H. Hollenberg, aided by Judge Kalhoefer, Dr. Moll, and its energetic pioneer merchant, August Jaedicke. The first paper printed in the town was in the spring of 1871, and was edited by W. Bowman, called the Hanover Ledger.
Mr. Hollenberg came to Kansas in 1855. He was one of the first settlers of the county, and (as before mentioned) laid out the town of Hanover. He was born in Germany and made his first settlement in 1857 in Hanover. He had traveled much; he was liberal and generous, honest and public-spirited. Through the poverty and trials of the early settlers, his purse and hand were ever open to the poor. They came to his crib, and he gave them corn and bread without money, and in a new oountry he furnished them seed. In public life he filled positions of trust, at one time representing the county in the legislature. He was also for many years county commissioner. He was the father of Washington county, and his life and means were devoted to the development of his town and county. The last crowning act of his life, when he died upon the high seas away from friends, kindred and home, in the effort to turn the tide of immigration from his Fatherland to ours, was one of noble heroism, and pure devotion to our interests. A martyr himself, even through his death, he provided the means to build a Hall for the city of his adoption. May his virtues ever be cherished in our memory as .a bright oasis in our history.
In 1875, the mayor was Judge Kalhoefer. There were four dry goods stores, kept by August Jaedicke, Helman Brothers, Williams Collins, and Hallowell, Cox & Co.; one drug store, kept by Dr. L. Moll, two first class hotels, by H. Marquard and W. Gilson, one saddler’s shop, three blacksmith and wagon shops, two physicians, one school house, post office, also the headquarters of the Hanover Independent. One city hall, one German hall, two grain houses, one kept by Shedd, Berns & Co., and the other in the interest of Lone Mound Grange, several restaurants, two churches, Catholic and Lutheran.
August Jaedicke, jr., was the first white child born in Hanover. He lives in Hanover today and is an insurance agent. He also carries the mail from the train to the post office. His father used to bring the mail to Hanover from the Pony Express Station at the Hollenberg ranch.
M. H. Seeberger is Mayor of Hanover at the present time. George D. Kile, Anton Triska, jr., S. B. Doebele, F. Imming and John R. Sekal are the members of the City Council. O. R. Hassur is the City Clerk.
Hanover is the second largest city in Washington county and has a population of 922.
Hanover has two newspapers. The Hanover Herald is published by Chas. Munger and the Hanover Democrat is published by B. H. Dieker.
Dr. F. H. Rhoades
has been practicing medicine in Hanover for the past 23 years.
Dr. Rhoades graduated from the Kansas City, Missouri University School of Medicine in 1905. He practiced in Mulberry before coming to Hanover. He has been clerk of the school board for 18 years, is secretary of the Washington County Medical Association, and has served two terms as County Coroner.
He is a member of the Evangelical church and of the Hanover Business Men’s Club.
Hanover Sheet Metal Works
W. L. Mika is the owner of the Hanover Sheet Metal and Pump Works. The firm was organized 25 years ago. Mr. Mika does plumbing and tin work, guttering and roofing.
Mr. Mika has lived in Hanover for 48 years. He is a member of the Catholic church and of the Knights of Columbus lodge. His wife was Mary Josephine Kloppenberg before their marriage and they have two children.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. J. Mika, W. L. Mika’s parents, are long-time resident of the county, having come here 55 years ago.
Schwartz Department Store
One of the oldest firms in Hanover is the Schwartz Department Store which was organized in 1883. For the first two years of its existence it was a partnership but in 1887 William J. Schwartz bought complete control and has been sole owner since that time.
Mr. Schwartz has always been active in all community activities. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus lodge. He is married and has six children. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. John G. Schwartz who came to Washington county in an early day. His mother, Mrs. Clara F. Schwartz died in July 1933, his father in ‘79.
Mr. Schwartz retired 15 years ago and turned the active management of the store over to his son, Charles T. Schwartz. The store has always been in the same location and was rebuilt 35 years ago.
The LeRoy Hotel and Barber Shop in Hanover is owned and managed by Mr. Otto Schroeder. He has owned the LeRoy Hotel since 1913 but has been in the hotel and barber business in Hanover for 45 years.
Mr. Schroeder came to Hanover 58 years ago from Bloomfield, Iowa. He is a member of the Masonic, the Woodmen, and the K.S.C.A. lodges. He is married and has one child. Mr. Schroeder is fond of hunting and fishing.
The LeRoy Cafe is managed by LeRoy Schroeder. He has managed it for two years.
Fairmont Creamery Co.
`Miss Margaret E. Bonte is manager of the Fairmont Creamery Company in Hanover. She buys cream, eggs and poultry and sells ice cream. The firm was organized in 1933.
Miss Bonte has lived in Hanover for 26 years. She is a member of the Catholic church and sings in the choir. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Bonte, have lived in Hanover for 55 years.
Vlach & Son Meat Market
Joseph Vlach & Son meat market in Hanover is one of the oldest firms in Hanover. It has been there since 1895. Mr. Vlach came to America in 1887 and came to Hanover from New York City in 1895.
He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus lodge. He married Mary Pilnacek and they had seven childen, all living. They are Emily, Anna, William, Joseph Jr., Frances, Mary Elizabeth and Anthony.
Jaedicke Insurance Agency
Mr. August Jaedicke, jr., the first white boy born in Hanover, has lived in Hanover all his life. Since October, 1924, he has been in the real estate, farm loan and insurance business in Hanover.
Mr. Jaedicke is a member of the Evangelical church. He married a daughter of John B. Messing and they have six children, all of whom are living. His father was the first postmaster in Hanover and his uncle the first school teacher. He was mayor of Hanover in 1905.
August Jaedicke has been weather observer in Hanover for the past 29 years. He was the 14th man in the state of Kansas to serve over 20 years as weather observer. During the World War he was a member of the Four-Minute Men.
Burgner-Bowman Lumber Co.
"Everything to build anything" is the motto of the Burgner-Bowman-Matthews Lumber Company in Hanover. Lester L. Inman is manager and the main office of the company is in Kansas City, Mo. The lumber yard has been under its present ownership for 10-1/2 years. Mr. Inman has lived in Hanover for seven years and in Washington county for 25 years. He was born in Clifton, Washington county and graduated from the Clifton high school in 1902.
Miss Rosa Munger, Postmistress
of the post office in Hanover has held this position for the past four years. She began July 1, 1934. The office is a third class office.
Miss Munger is a member of the Catholic church and her mother, the former Rosina Herynk, came to Washington county in 1869 in a covered wagon. Her father, Dillie Munger, came in 1878. He worked in Washington on a newspaper for a while and then bought a Hanover paper in partnership with H. K. Hood.
John Triska is the present clerk in the post office.
The Kaw Theatre
in Hanover is owned and managed by A. F. Flaherty. He shows pictures from the M.G.M., the Fox, the Paramount and the United Artists studios.
The theatre was started in February 1937 and was purchased by Mr. Flaherty in November. Mr. Flaherty has lived in Hanover all of his life and is a member of the Catholic chrurch, the A.O.U.W. and the Knights of Columbus. His wife was Miss Etta Kyle before her marriage. His parents, who formerly lived in Hanover and ran Flaherty’s store for 40 years were Mr. and Mrs. Michael Flaherty.
Champagne Funeral Home
H. V. Champagne owns the Champagne Funeral Home in Hanover. He has been a licensed embalmer for eight years and came to Hanover in 1936. Before that he had worked with the Guthrie Funeral Home at Marysville for six years.
Mr. Champagne was born and raised at Oketo, Kansas, and graduated from the Oketo High School then attended the Williams Institute of Embalming at Kansas City, Kansas.
During the World War Mr. Champagne served in the Marine Corps. He is a member of the Methodist church and of the Hanover Business Men's Club. He is married and has two children. His mother, Mrs. Rhoda Champagne, lives in Oketo.
Mattas Cash Grocery
One of the newest businesses in Hanover is the Mattas Cash Grocery owned by Arthur A. Mattas. Mr. Mattas came to Hanover in January, 1938, from Wilson, Kansas, but in the short time he has been here he has taken an active interest in civic affairs in Hanover.
He is a member of the Catholic church and also of the Business Men’s Club in Hanover. Mrs. Mattas is the sister of Mrs. Joe Jandera of near Hanover.
The Cash Grocery is a member of the HGF association and sells groceries and lunch meats.
Jack's Barber Shop
John S. Nespor, jr., is the proprietor of Jack’s Barber Shop in Hanover. He started the shop seven years ago.
Mr. Nespor was born in Hanover and lived there until he was 17 years old at which time he joined the Navy. He was gone from Hanover for 10 years, four of which were spent in South America, Honolulu and the coast.
He is a member of the Catholic church. His wife was the former Miss Sophia Meerian and they have two children. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Nespor, sr., both live in Hanover.
Hoffman Chevrolet Service
C. E. Hoffman is the owner of Hoffman’s Chevrolet Service in Hanover. He sells Chevrolet cars, Standard gas and oil, Goodyear tires, and repairs and parts for all cars.
Mr. Hoffman came to Hanover in 1921 and started the garage. He formerly lived in Falls City, Nebr. He and Mrs. Hoffman have two children.
Farmers Oil & Supply Co.
Mr. A. H. Meyers is manager of the Farmers Oil and Supply Company in Hanover. Gasoline, oil and petroleum products are sold.
Mr. Meyer was born in Washington county. He graduated from Washington high school in 1922 and moved to Hanover in 1927. He started managing the Farmers Oil & Supply in 1934. He is a member of the Lutheran church and the Hanover Business Men’s Club. He married Miss Lillian Cerveny of Fairbury. His parents are Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Meyer.
The Harding Creamery Co.
in Hanover is managed by H. A. Schanck. He buys eggs, cream and poultry.
The station has been in Hanover for 25 years but under its present ownership for only the last five.
Mr. Schanck came to Hanover from Morganville 36 years ago. He is a member of the Lutheran church. He was born south of Hanover and moved to Morganville. He is married and has two children Norma Dale who is 12 and Jack who is 7. His mother lives in Hanover also.
Imming Feed Store
George J. Imming has been manager of a feed business in Hanover since 1929. The store was started 45 years ago. He sells grains, feed and coal.
Mr. Imming has lived in Hanover 44 years. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus lodge. He served 8 months in the U. S. army during the World War. He married Miss Alice Schroeder and they have two children. From 1910 to 1914 he played center field on the Hanover baseball team and from 1926 to 1928 he was on the Hanover City Council.
His parents, Mr. and Mrs. B. J. Imming, live in Hastings, Nebr. They lived in Hanover for 40 years and Mr. Imming was bookkeeper in the Schwartz store for 18 years.
John J. Sedlacek has been in the hardware business in Bremen since 1890 but just opened a branch of that business in Hanover in 1929.
The Sedlacek Hardware Company sells Howe furniture. They also have an undertaking establishment, run an ambulance and own a pulmotor.
Mr. Sedlacek is married and has seven children. He is a member of the Hanover Business Men’s Club.
Grieveldinger Barber Shop
H. M. Grieveldinger started barbering in Hanover in 1898 and has been in that business in Hanover since then except for an eight year period from 1900 to 1908.
Mr. Grieveldinger is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus lodge. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry G. Grieveldinger of Marshall county. He married Miss Mame Pecenka and they have three sons. Arlo G. works in the barber shop.
Cash Meat Market
in Hanover is owned by Charles Kroulik. This store, which sells groceries and meats, recently received a l00% health rating from the State Board of Health.
Mr. Kroulik came to Hanover in 1923 from Belleville. He worked for Joe Vlach for two years, then was gone for one year, returned to Hanover, and three years later started the Cash Meat Market. He has a good stock of all standard brands of groceries and meats.
Mr. Kroulik’s parents were born and live in Czechoslovakia. Charles Kroulik is married and has one son, Lawrence, who works in the store with him.
Charles Eckart is the owner of the Schlitz Cafe in Hanover. He has managed the cafe a little over a year .
He came to Hanover from Missouri when he was four years old and has been in Hanover for 59 years. He is a member of the Catholic church. He married Miss Mary Bower and they have 11 children, nine of whom are still living. He formerly served on the City Council.
Mr. Eckart’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Eckart lived in Hanover. They were born in Germany, coming to America in 1866 and to Washington county in 1879.
in Hanover is owned by H. T. Doebele. The Tavern was started in 1936.
Mr. Doebele has lived in Hanover all of his life. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus lodge, is married and has two children. For the last 18 years he has played with the Hanover baseball team. He plays first base. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Doebele, have lived in Washington county for 55 years.
Messing Jewelry Store
J. B. Messing, Hanover jeweler, has been in Hanover since 1884. He is a watchmaker and jeweler and the official time inspector of the Union Pacific system.
Mr. Messing was born in Munster, Westphalen, Germany, in 1859 and completed his school in Germany where he learned the watchmaking trade. He came to Hanover in 1884 and went to Iowa in 1892. In 1895 he married Miss Mary Engel and they had two children, one who lives in Iowa, and a daughter, Mrs. August Jaedicke of Hanover.
Mr. Messing is a member of the Evangelical church and a member of the Masonic lodge. He is a great lover of music.
Gara Lathrop came to Hanover in 1926 from Clay Center and started the Hanover Cleaners. She does cleaning, pressing, repairing and altering of clothes. Her parents were pioneers of Clay County, coming there in 1869.
in Hanover is owned by Mike Poell and managed by his son, Delmar Poell. The Cafe was started in 1933. Soft drinks and candy are sold.
Delmar Poell has lived in Hanover for 22 years. He is a member of the Catholic church, is married and the father of two children. In high school he was on the basketball team. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Mike Poell, have lived near Hanover for 55 years.
Immings General Store
in Hanover is owned by F. J. Imming, sr., although for the past few years his son, Franz Imming, jr., has been the active manager.
Mr. Imming, sr., came to Hanover 53 years ago from Green Creek, Ill. He has always been interested in civic affairs. In 1887 he was appointed City Clerk; in 1997 he was elected Mayor of Hanover; and in 1888 he was elected Township Trustee in which office served four years.
A. & T. Cafe
in Hanover is owned and managed by Arthur Doebele. He serves meals, short orders, soft drinks, and confections.
Mr. Doebele was born in Hanover 32 years ago and has lived there all of his life. He purchased the cafe in 1930. He is a member of the Catholic church, the Knights of Columbus and is vice president of the Hanover Business Men’s Club. He married Miss Josephine Zumbahlen and they have one son, Gary.
Mr. Doebele is the son of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Doebele who also live in Hanover. They have been in Washington county for 55 years.
Kornbaum Tin Shop
in Hanover is owned by W. E. Kornbaum. He does tin and pump work, gas and hot water heating and supplies are sold, and he is a licensed gas fitter.
Mr. Kornbaum was born in Illinois in 1865 and came to Hanover in 1884 with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Kornbaum. He started to work for August Neugebauer, sr., who had a hardware store and tin shop. In 1885 he worked for Milligan & Janicke who were then in the Hardware and Implement business. He then went to California and came back to Hanover in 1888.
The Farmers' Home
in Hanover is owned and managed by W. J. Sheetz. He has owned the Cafe for 6 months and serves soft drinks and lunches.
Fifty years ago Mr. Sheetz came to Hanover. He is a member of the Catholic church. His wife was Mary Benda before her marriage, and they have two children.
Welch & Poell Implement Co.
is owned by Harry Welch and Mr. Poell. They sell the Allis Chalmers line of farm machinery.
Mr. Welch was born in Hanover. Before starting in the implement company he operated a truck line. He has one daughter, Margaret. His parents farm near Hollenberg.
Mr. Poell has lived in Hanover for 53 years. He is a member of the Catholic church and the A.O.U.W. lodge. Twelve year ago he was on the City Council. He has three sons, Everett, Delmar and Archie, all of whom live in Hanover.
Charles Grancer is owner and manager of the Grancer Cafe in Hanover. He started the cafe three years ago.
Mr. Grancer has lived in Hanover for 52 years but he organized the cafe only three years ago. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus. He married Mary Schaffer and they have three children.
Poell Brothers Garage
in Hanover is owned by Everett, John, Joe and George Poell. They have the Ford Agency and service all makes of cars.
Everett Poell is partner in the garage. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Knights of Columbus. His wife was Hilda Doebele before their marriage and they have two children.
Farmers Co-op Association
Ignatz Masat is manager of the Farmers Co-op Association of Hanover. Mr. Masat has been in the elevator for the past thirty years although it has been under its present ownership since 1934.
Mr. Masat was born on a farm a mile from Hanover where his parents homesteaded in 1869. He has lived in or near Hanover all of his life and worked in a mill there for 11 years before starting in the elevator.
Community State Bank
in Hanover was organized in 1921. This bank is a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Company and has ample facilities to render a first class banking service to its community and county.
Dugald Spence is president of the bank, Frank Jandera is vice president, A. C. Wurtz is cashier, Miss Elfreda Seeberger is assistant cashier and Miss Marcella Schwartz is bookkeeper. The Board of Directors includes Dugald Spence, Frank Jandera, H. H. Neumann, A. F. Geyer and R. E. Rowland.
Jim C. Urban is owner of the Urban Pharmacy in Hanover. He has a line of retail drugs, fountain service, sells Sewall paints, and is a registered pharmacist, graduating from the University of Kansas in 1907.
Mr. Urban came to Washington county 20 years ago and worked in Morrowville for R. J. Stanton. In 1922 he moved to Hanover and purchased the drug store in 1926. He is a member of the Elks lodge and the Hanover Business Men’s Club, being a past president of that organization. He also served four years on the City Council. He has two sons, Clarence of Marysville and Max of Hanover. Mr. Urban’s favorite sport is fishing and he takes annual fishing trips, being a very good fisherman.
Ellis the Radio Man
W. H. Ellis, Ellis the Radio Man, has been in Hanover since 1920. He does electric work, radio repairing, motor rewinding and refrigerator repairing.
Mr. Ellis is the only motor rewinder in Washington county and one of the very few independent telephone cable splicers in Kansas. He has trained a number of boys in electrical and telephone work and two of them are now telephone managers, one a lineman, one a R.E.A. line construction superintendent and one a radio repair man.
Madelyn Beauty Shop
Miss Madelyn M. Kuck is the owner and manager of the Madelyn Beauty Shop in Hanover. She has lived in Hanover all of her life and is a member of the Catholic church.
The Madelyn Beauty Shop was started by Miss Kuck on November 20, 1937. She is a registered cosmetologist.
(End of Part 2)