Cumro Horse-Drawn Farm Implements

Brothers Maurice and Adolph Cumro generously donated antique horse-drawn farm implements, purchased and used by their father, William C. Cumro, on their farm east of Hollenberg.  The oldest brother, Adolph, was born in 1912 when his folks started farming one mile east and 1.5 miles north of the Hollenberg farm, in Jefferson County, Nebraska.  They moved to the Hollenberg farm in 1918 so their children could attend school in Hollenberg.  The farm equipment in the collection was purchased for the most part during this time from Lowe & Cassel Implement Co. in Steele City, Nebraska and Ahlers Implement Co. in Hollenberg.

The equipment will be on display behind the museum's one-room school house, next to the museum annex, on East Third and Ballard Streets in Washington.  The descriptions were from Adolph Cumro when he was in his 90s.

  • One-bottom 16-inch sulky riding plow, pulled by three horses, purchased at Ahlers Implement Co. of Hollenberg about 1910.

  • Single row Minneapolis Moline tongueless walking cultivator, purchased about 1912 at Ahlers at a new price of $11.00.

  • Two-bottom disk plow pulled by team of four horses, manufactured by Lacross Machinery Co. and purchased at Ahlers in about 1916.

  • New Ideal 5-foot mowing machine by McCormick Deering, purchased at Ahlers in 1917.

  • Two-row cornstalk cutter pulled by three horses, made by McCormick Deering, purchased at Ahlers in about 1916.

  • One-row corn monitor pulled by two horses, made by International in early 'Teens, purchased at Ahlers.

  • Single-row lister pulled by four horses, made by Minneapolis Moline Co., purchased at Lowe & Cassel Implement Co. in early 'Teens.

  • Two-row lister usually pulled by six horses, made by International, purchased at Lowe & Cassel in the early 'Twenties.

  • Single-row walking lister made by Minneapolis Moline, the first form of lister used in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

  • Small one-horse five-shovel cultivator, used for garden work, made by Minneapolis Moline, purchased at Lowe & Cassel in the 'Teens.

  • Dry fertilizer spreader, first owned by Washington County Soil Conservation District when commercial fertilizer first came out.

  • Horse-drawn road grader used in the 'Twenties, pulled either by two or four horses.  Manufacturer unknown.

Home