As civilization moved west in the
1800s, many of the great trails crossed Washington County -- the
Oregon-California Trail, the Overland Trail, the Pony Express, the
Parallel Road to the Colorado gold mines, the Fort Kearney-Fort
Riley Military Roads and the Mormon Trails. Many of these
trails followed some of the plains Indian trails which criss-crossed
Some historians contend that
Coronado and his Spanish expedition from Mexico marched through the
state and crossed the Little Blue River near the northern boundary
of Washington County in 1542. The first recorded settlers of
Washington County arrived in 1857.
Washington County was organized in
1860 and named in honor of the first President of the United States,
1856 Surveyor's Monument --
near Mahaska; the survey point for five states, at the 40th
parallel. A new monument was dedicated in 1987.
1857 California/Oregon Trail and
Hollenberg Pony Express Station -- near Hanover. This is
the only unaltered pony express station still in existence. It
stands at its original location. It is a Kansas State Historic
1877 R.R. Depot -- Clifton
Community Historical Society and Museum, Clifton.
1880 Log Cabin -- Washington
1899 Sheriff's Residence and Jail
-- 23 "C" St., Washington. Listed on the National Historic
Register and the proposed site of the Law Enforcement Museum.
1901 Jail -- Haddam.
1925 Jail -- Greenleaf.
1925 World's First Bulldozer --
Morrowville. A replica of the original is displayed in
Cummings Park in Morrowville, one block west of Highway 15 on Main
Street between Walnut and Oak Streets.
1932 Courthouse -- Washington.
Listed on the National Historic Register.
Barnes Bank Building --
Washington County Kingpost Bridge --
Barnes. Listed on the National Historic Register.