1) Infant from passing wagon train 1857, name unknown.
2) Jordan Infant, child of Robert & Emaline 9 October 1857
3) Francis (Frank) Jordan, son of Robert & Emaline (Crossett) Jordan,
4) Samuel Gantt, Sr.
5) Robert Bull Jordan, Sr.
6) Ralph Jordan, son of Samuel & Jennie (Rebecca Jemima Demaree) Jordan 1878-79. Samuel Gantt Jordan was a son of Robert B. & Emaline Jordan - he came to Allen County, Kansas with his parents at eight years of age.
7) Jordan Infant, child of Samuel & Jennie (Demaree) Jordan, October 1886
8) Matilda (Crossett) Gantt, wife of Samuel Gantt, Sr.
9) Emaline (Crossett) Jordan, wife of Robert Bull Jordan
10) Lewis Jordan, son of Samuel and second wife Debbie (Deborah Brown) Jordan,
11) Wilson Leander Gantt, son of Samuel Sr. and Matilda, 12 yrs old in 1850
12) Laura Gantt Hayworth, daughter of Samuel & Matilda Gantt
Located in Sec 6, Carlyle Township, Allen County, Kansas. The location was originally in Deer Creek Township, but this TWP was later divided. GPS Coordinates: N 37degrees 58.799' W 95degrees 21.221'
It is NW of the comer of South Dakota (E-W) and 2000 (N-S). Go 0.24 miles north of this intersection and then walk west about 150 yds along the tree line bordering the north end of a cultivated field. Cemetery is in timber just north of the field and marked with four vertical pipes and a limestone monument inscribed:
2000 road is immediately E of the Iola Country Club. South Dakota is 4 miles N of Highway 54. Beyond 0.24 miles N of the intersection with South Dakota, 2000 road rises to a ridge, then drops, but is not passable beyond the ridge due to obstruction by trees. The cemetery can also be accessed by driving N on Highway 169 to Oregon (paved), then E to 2000 road, then N 2 miles to the S. Dakota - 2000 comer.
The Pioneer Cemetery was sited on land owned by Samuel and Matilda Gantt, which they settled on by 1859. Matilda was a sister of Emaline Jordan. Robert B. and Emaline Jordan landed in Kansas with their children just E of Carlyle May 15, 1857, having traveled overland from Appanoose County, Iowa, where they had lived since 1850. They came to Iowa from Gloucester City, NJ, and before that had lived in Maryland, although both had roots in central Pennsylvania. The R. B. Jordan farm was then established 2 miles E of Carlyle, NE comer of intersection, and was maintained by the Jordan family for many years.
The pioneer cemetery is located on the 'Deer Creek' farm now owned by Mrs. Nancy Flewharty of Iola, who graciously consented to our placing the monument.
The graves in this cemetery were originally marked with thin, uninscribed field stones placed vertically and the location nearly forgotten except by Vernon and Dwight Howard, who took several family members to the cemetery in the 1980's and 1990's, mostly to clear out brush. On one of those visits in 1999, with the brush temporarily subdued, the marker stones were visible, and we counted headstones and footstones for 12 graves. Those present at that visit were Vernon and Dwight Howard (Allen Co., KS), William J. Welch (Tulsa, OK), and Scott W. Jordan (Albuquerque, NM), all descendants of Robert B. and Emaline Jordan. At an earlier time in the late 1980's Vernon Howard showed Gary L. Jordan (Taby, Sweden) the location of the cemetery.
April ll, 2006