2009 SCHS Annual Meeting — Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009
Sixth Avenue Ballroom, 117 W. 6th Ave., Topeka, Kansas, 66603, from 2-4 p.m.
This event gave the SCHS members and friends an opportunity to share in the accomplishments of the SCHS throughout 2009 and served as the annual business meeting. The SCHS bulletin for2009 is a book chronicling the Elmhurst Neighborhood, therefore, our theme focused on Historic Neighborhoods in Topeka. Alan Bearman, Associate Professor of History at Washburn University, spoke about Charles Sheldon and his contributions to neighborhood development in historic Topeka neighborhoods in the early twentieth century.
The program also include presentations from the Central Park Neighborhood and Ward Meade Neighborhood.
2009 Preservation Awards — Sunday, May 17, 2009
Warehouse 414, 414 SE 2nd St., Topeka, 2 PM
The third annual joint awards for preservation of sites reflecting the history of Shawnee County were presented by the Shawnee County Historical Society and the Topeka Landmarks Commission.
Guest speaker was Ustaine Talley, president of The Prairie Heritage Institute, Inc. She has served as a Park Ranger for Brown vs. Board of Education, and spoke about various Kansans who have had an effect on history in Shawnee County. Douglass Wallace shared information about SCHS's newest Bulletin, Bungalow Homes for the Nation: The L.F.Garlinghouse Co. of Topeka, and SCHS web site manager Carol Yoho demonstrated features of the SCHS web site.
The City of Topeka Landmarks Commission is a volunteer citizen commission appointed by the City of Topeka to identify and acknowledge important historic landmarks in the City. Greg Allen , Vice Chair of the Landmarks Commission, honored these award recipients:
The Dibble Building, 121 SE 6th St., owned by Midwest Health Management, Inc., Jim Klausman, president .
The Curtis Cemetery, located in North Topeka just west of Topeka Boulevard at N.W. Harrison on the south side of Old Soldier Creek.
Frank Durein House, 726 SW Clay St., honoring the restoration work of Ted Mize and his late wife, Connie.
Carlton Scroggins , Shawnee County Historical Society President, honored these 2009 SCHS Preservation Award recipients:
Dibble Building, 121 SE 6th St., owned by Midwest Health Management, Inc., Jim Klausman, president . Michael Mead accepted the award for Midwest Health Management.
Originally built in 1917, housed the Dibble Grocery from 1917 to 1951. The Dibble family’s previous store, north of the river, was lost in the 1903 flood. They opened a store at 117 SE before constructing the building which is being recognized. Klausman, president and chief executive officer of Midwest Health Management Inc. in Topeka, and owner of the building for eight years, has renovated the building. Even though the front façade is updated, the Dibble “premium stamp” has been incorporated into a large design on the east side of the building facing Quincy Street.
Topeka Cemetery Association, Inc ., 1601 SE 10th Ave.; the Topeka Cemetery, owned by the City of Topeka, is celebrating their 150 th anniversary on Memorial Day, May 25. 2009.
The Topeka Cemetery is the oldest organized cemetery in Kansas. The Topeka Cemetery Association was formed 2 February 1859—2009 marks its 150 year anniversary. For many years, Topeka Cemetery was the burial place of the city's most notable citizens, and many of the older monuments and memorials stand in testament to that fact. "Mausoleum Row," a group of large family monuments, is on the National and Kansas registers of historic places.
West Union School, 210 SW West Union Road, owned by Stan and Theresa Langhofer; for adaptive use of Historic Property as a residence. Elizabeth Taylor accepted the award for the Langhofers.
The marked Oregon Trail is about ¼ mile northeast of the school.
West Union School, cont.
The Langhofers have converted the school into a livable space, preserving the history of the school, and by enlarging the living area at the back of the school. Many former school members visit the school to reminisce and take pictures. The Langhofers enjoy meeting former members and learning more about the history of the school. This nominee is recognized for its adaptive use of Historical property.
Grandmontagne Design, 414 SE 2nd St., owned by John and Chris Grandmontagne; for adaptive use of Historic Property as a business.
This red brick 40,000 square foot warehouse for unique and vintage furniture and contemporary art was once the home for the former Topeka Rapid Transit Power Station. Built in 1889, it was first home to the trolley system that went from Oakland to Potwin to Quinton Heights. The Grandmontagnes acquired it in 2006 and turned it into a warehouse and large showroom space for their vast collection of unique items. It is a stopping place on the “First Friday Art Walk.”
The Woodward Inns, owned by Elizabeth Taylor, Historic Holliday Park Neighborhood.
Her most recent historic preservation is 1269 SW Western, a beautiful Victorian home which was brought back to life. This home is added to a large number of restorations: 1272 Fillmore (The Woodward), 1263 Fillmore, 1257 Fillmore, 1252 Fillmore, 1248 Fillmore and 1009 Huntoon. Ms Taylor’s “The Woodward,” much more than a bed and breakfast, was the start of a major improvement to the Holiday Park Area in Topeka.
SCHS's Historic Preservation Achievement Award will honor Walter Knox Hillmer for preserving the heritage of the Hillmer Family Fine Leather Goods in Topeka, beginning business at 115 SE 6th Ave. in 1896, and his continued support and commitment to Historic Preservation in Topeka and Shawnee County. Hi Stockwell accepted the award for Walt Hillmer.
The heritage of the Hillmer Family Fine Leather Goods in Topeka: George Klein, Topeka’s premiere harness maker, began business in 1896, In 1921, he and his son-in-law, Ernest Hillmer (Walt’s grandfather) opened a combined leather shop at 115 SE 6th Avenue. In 1995, Walter Klein Hillmer, sold the store to his son (Walt) and daughter-in-law (Joyce). Walt then set about to restore the façade to its 1800’s character and at the same time restored the interior of the store. He received the Topeka Historic Preservation Award for his efforts. In 2008 the Hillmers sold the business. This year, he is nominated for recognition not only for his past efforts, but also for his continued support of historic preservation on 6th Avenue and his study and support of historic preservation throughout Topeka.