- 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente - Santiago, Wilfred
- Alicia Alonso: Prima Ballerina - Bernier-Grand, Carmen T.
- Clara and the Curandera/Clara y la curandera - Brown, Monica
- Dancing Home - Ada, Alma Flor & Gabriel M. Zubizarreta
- Diego Rivera: His World and Ours - Tonatiuh, Duncan
- Good-bye Havana! Hola New York - Colón, Edie
- Hey, 13! - Soto, Gary
- How Tía Lola Ended Up Starting Over - Alvarez, Julia
- How Tía Lola Saved the Summer - Alvarez, Julia
- Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck - Engle, Margarita
- I Kick the Ball/Pateo el balón - Zepeda, Gwendolyn
- If I Could Fly - Cofer, Judith Ortiz
- Illegal - Restrepo, Bettina
- The Land of Lost Things/El país de las cosas perdidas - Bursztyn, Dina
- Let's Dance!/¡A Bailar! - Cofer, Judith Ortiz
- A Mango in the Hand: A Story Told through Proverbs - Sacre, Antonio
- Marisol MacDonald Doesn't Match/Marisol McDonald no combina - Brown, Monica
- Maximilian and the Mystery of the Guardian Angel - Garza, Xavier
- Milagro of the Spanish Bean Pot - Romero-Anderson, Emerita
- The Monster in the Mattress and Other Stories/El monstruo en el colchón y otros cuentos - De Anda, Diane
- Pepita and the Bully/Pepita y la peleonera - Lachtman, Ofelia Dumas
- SkateFate - Herrera, Juan Felipe
- Ten Little Puppies/Diez perritos - Ada, Alma Flor
- Tía Isa Wants a Car - Medina, Meg
- Under the Mesquite - McCall, Guadalupe Garcia
- Waiting for the Biblioburro - Brown, Monica
- 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente - Santiago, Wilfred; illus by the author
- Alicia Alonso: Prima Ballerina - Bernier-Grand, Carmen T.; illus by Colón, Raúl
- The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred - Vamos, Samantha R.; illus by López, Rafael
- Clara and the Curandera/Clara y la curandera - Brown, Monica; illus by Muraida, Thelma
- Diego Rivera: His World and Ours - Tonatiuh, Duncan; illus by the author
- Good-bye Havana! Hello New York - Colón, Edie; illus by Colón, Raúl
- Ladder to the Moon - Soetoro-Ng, Maya; illus by Morales, Yuyi
- The Land of Lost Things/El país de las cosas perdidas - Bursztyn, Dina; illus by the author
- Let's Dance!/¡A Bailar! - Cofer, Judith Ortiz; illus by Rodgriguez, Christina Ann
- Mamá and Me - Dorros, Arthur; illus by Gutierrez, Rudy
- Marisol MacDonald Doesn't Match/Marisol McDonald no combina - Brown, Monica; illus by Palacios, Sara
- Pepita and the Bully/Pepita y la peleonera - Lachtman, Ofelia Dumas; illus by DeLange, Alex Pardo
- Waiting for the Biblioburro - Brown, Monica; illus by Parra, John
The Pura Belpré Award is presented by REFORMA and the Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC). The annual award recognizes excellence in the areas of literary merit and outstanding illustration in books for children and young adults by authors and illustrators who identify themselves as Latino.
The selection committee chair alternates between REFORMA and ALSC, and the committee consists of three members from each. Heartland members Jean Hatfield and Anitra Steele will lead a Mock Pura Belpré Award Session with attendees participating as the mock committee. Anyone interested in participating or observing is invited to attend.
Participants may attend all or part of the session and are encouraged to read as many books from the list at left as possible. For further information contact Jack Granath at firstname.lastname@example.org, (913) 722-7400.
- 9:00 - Introductions & Consideration of Titles Nominated for Narrative Quality
- 10:45 - Break
- 11:00 - Consideration of Titles Nominated for Illustration
- 12:45 - Wrap Up
The session will be available through Collaborate for those unable to attend in person. Selected text or illustrations from each title will be presented in PowerPoint to facilitate discussion.
Please note: Elluminate has become Collaborate and has a new face. When you login to our session, you will notice things look a little bit different. If you want to find out more about Collaborate, please see the Participants Orientation at http://www.brainshark.com/blackboardinc/vu?pi=zGLzYw5XBz35Sgz0.
First time Collaborate Web Conferencing participants, please get ready for the meeting at least 30 minutes in advance of the start time. To prepare, visit the Collaborate Support center at http://tinyurl.com/4thqaew to configure your system and test your audio.
To join the Mock Pura Belpré, please use the following link:
If you need support please contact Cindi Hickey, email@example.com, 785-296-2146.
PLEASE NOTE: It may take a minute or so for the Java plugin to load. During this time you may not see any indication that it is loading. The session will be archived.