MCB Home Page Concert Schedule Library Holdings What's New Band History Contact Information Frequently Asked Questions Search Page Return to the Blue Skyways Home Page

Cornet

Band History
Carter's Monthly

 

Marshall’s Band

Marshall’s band was organized in the summer of 1884, at Topeka, under the name of "The Republican Flambeaux Band," and played through the state during the presidential campaign of that year. After election it was reorganized and given its present name, in honor of its director, Mr. John B. Marshall. In less than a year after the organization it was awarded first prize in a contest at Topeka, participated in by all the leading bands of the state. In 1886 the band appeared at San Francisco as the department band of the Kansas G.A.R., and attracted great attention. Since its organization this band has been from ocean to ocean and from lakes to gulf, participating in all the great events of the nation with credit to themselves and to their city and state.

The band now numbers sixty men, and is composed of gentlemen who are actually engaged in business and professional pursuits and who give their leisure hours to the organization for pleasure, not for profit.


This history of Marshall's band was published in Carter's Monthly, Vol., 12, 1897. The article, "Topeka, The Capital City" was part of the chapter titled "Kansas - The Sunflower State," written by William Montague Bliss, pg. 598.

MCB Home |  Concerts |  Library |  What's New |  History |  Contact Us |  FAQs |  Site Search

© 2002-2014, Marshall's Civic Band, Inc.