2014 Nelson Poetry Book Award
Deadline: June 15, 2014
Created by Raymond and Margaret Nelson
Please print, fill in, and mail the attached
Nelson Poetry Book Award application form (PDF)
with your entry.
A PDF viewer is available for free download online from Adobe.
2014 Rules for Competition are downloadable as a PDF file and are printed below:
Guidelines for Submission: Deadline June 15, 2014
- The contest is open to any Kansas resident (KAC member or non-member).
- The book must be original poetry written by the contestant, a minimum of 50 pages in length, Books including prose selections are not eligible.
- The entry must have been published, issued in print. and available for public distribution within the two years prior to June 1, 2014 . The book may be commercially or privately published.
- No entry fee is required.
- The winner will receive $100.00
- Two copies of the winning book will be donated. One copy will go to Mr. Nelson and one copy to the KAC shelves at the Spencer Research Library at KU in Lawrence. If Mr. Nelson is not present at the Annual Convention to receive a copy of the book, the contest manager is responsible for mailing his copy to him as soon as possible.
- The winner will be notified by September 1, in order to allow time for banquet reservations. The award will be presented to the winner at the 2014 Annual Convention and Writers Conference in Hutchinson, at the evening banquet on Saturday, October 11, 2014. If the winner is unable to attend, the award will be mailed.
- Mail two copies of your book no later than June 15, along with your completed entry form (available above or from the contest manager).
- Non-winners' books will be returned at the convention. Please provide return postage if you will not be attending the convention.
- Mail two copies of your book and your completed entry form by June 15, 2014 to:
Nelson Poetry Book Award Competition
Roy J. Beckemeyer
957 Perry Ave.
Wichita, KS 67203-3141
Send email to Roy
Rules posted 10/18/2013
2013 Sonny Kenner's Red Guitar, Kevin Rabas
2012 The Afterlives of Trees, Wyatt Tonwley
, Shawnee Mission,
2011 Soul's Night Out, Nedra Rogers
, Lawrence, non-member
2010 Lisa's Flying Electric Piano
, Kevin Rabas
, Lawrence, D2
2009 Snake in the Cradle
, Lora K. Reiter
, Ottawa, D2
2008 The Uni Verse
, Tom Mach
, Lawrence, D2
2007 Home Schooled
, Larry Rochelle
, Pittsboro, NC, D2
2006 voyeur poems
, Matthew Porubsky
, Topeka, non-member
2005 For Crying Out Loud
, Naomi Patterson
, Topeka, D1
2004 Dust Devils: Collisions With the Wind, Larry Rochelle,
Oracle of the Heart
, Muriel T. Stackley, Kansas City
in the Wind, Ruth Stunz
, Wichita, D.
Years of Poetry, 1941-2000, Laurence Harshbarger
Junction City, D. 4
Donald Coffin Memorial Book Award
Ferguson Kansas History Book Award
Kansas Authors Club--A
Not-for-profit organization for creative, academic, technical and
journalistic writers. Membership inquiries