Next D7 Meeting:
Watch this space for details.
Kansas Authors Club 7th District conducts
"Fiddler on the Roof Essay Contest" for young writers
District 7 of Kansas Authors Club, a statewide 109-year-old organization for writers, is teaming with Colby Community College to sponsor a writing contest for young people from fifth grade through Junior College level.
Many young people have heard their ancestors talk about coming to this country from a foreign country and the hardships they had to endure to get here. KAC Distrrict 7 members are asking young people to write about those stories.
Entrants are to title their work, "My Heritage" (Why my ancestors left the old country). Subject matter should include such things as: Social and political conditions at time of departure; family issues; contacts in America; issues of finance; transportation; occupation or other opportunities and obstacles; adventures along the way; issues relating to adaptation to the new culture after arrival, or anything relating to the group or personal immigration.
- Entrants may use resources available such as library materials from any source, personal correspondence, and oral family traditions. Documentation is not required.
- Length of essay is unspecified, so use your own good judgment. It may be short or lengthy. It should answer questions about what happened and why.
- Entries will be judged by members of the Colby Authors Club on writing ability, uniqueness, and interest value. Deadline for entries is April 1. Be sure to include your name, address and telephone number on your entries.
- Prizes will be awarded for the top three entries in each of the following age groups:
- 5th, 6th and 7th grade
- 8th 9th and 10th grade
- 11th, 12th and junior college age
- Each winner will receive two free admission tickets to the Colby Community College performance of Fiddler on the Roof, to be presented on April 12 at 7 p.m., or April 13 at 2 p.m., at the Frahm Theater, Colby.
Entries can be mailed to KAC Youth Writing Contest, c/o Millie Horlocher, 750 W. Pine, Colby, KS, 67701, or emailed to email@example.com
For more information contact Millie Horlacher at 785-462-3104 or Marj Brown at 785-462-3515.
Do you have an event to announce? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Do you have member news? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
For more information about District 7 contact Marj Brown, President of District 7, Kansas Authors Club, at 785-462-3515 or at the email link, below.
District 7 Officers, 2013-2014:
VP & Treasurer:
| Mildred E. Horlacher
750 W. Pine St.
Mildred E. Horlacher
Return to Top of Page