Next Meeting: Sat., May 18, 2013
“Portraits of Troy”
Gary Krohe, District 1, Topeka, is president of Krohe Electronics Corp., a broadcast consulting engineering firm. He also has been long involved with photojournalism. His idea for a high-quality book of photographs celebrating the distinctive architecture of Topeka High School, Gary's alma mater, came in 2011 during the planning of the 40th reunion of his graduating class. He built his dream with the assistance of Joan Barker, secretary for the Topeka High School Historical Society, and released Portraits of Troy: The Architecture of Topeka High School, a coffee table book with more than 340 historic and recently shot photos of the high school, in early March, 2013. Gary will discuss his project and the logistics of making his book a reality.
Scheduled meetings are usually held on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland’s Restaurant, 4133 SW Gage Center Drive, Topeka, KS • 11:30 a.m.
Anyone interested in writing is welcome to attend.
May Member News: Barbara Brady | P. Arden Corbin | Gary Krohe |
Naomi Patterson | Carol Yoho | Max Yoho
Apr. Member News: P. Arden Corbin | Gary Krohe | Max Yoho
Mar. Member News: P. Arden Corbin | Jeremy Deckard | Gary Krohe
Do you have Member News for District 1? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Robert N. Lawson, Ph.D., District 1, Topeka, passed away at home May 8, 2013, at the age of 84. He had been a continuous KAC member since 1978, serving as District 1 President, 1981/82, and 1987/88. "Bob" progressed to State Vice President in 1988, and State President in 1989. Complete information, including a link to Bob's obituary, is available on our In Memoriam page.
Do you have an event to announce? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Women Writers Group meets every third Monday of each month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 5:45 PM. Check library schedule for room. There is no charge to attend. Bring 8 to 10 copies of your writing. Be prepared to read your work and make comments on the work of other writers. 6/3/2011
Writer's Group meets weekly on Wednesdays, at Blackbird Bistro in Fleming Place, 10th & Gage, Topeka, 6:00 PM. 5/27/2011
Write Stuff meets weekly on Tuesdays at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th St., Topeka, 9:30 AM. 5/27/2011
Kansas Writers, Inc. meets every fourth Saturday of the month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Av. Topeka, 2nd floor, 10 AM, Noon lunch on trays from Millennium Cafe, 12:30 PM business meeting; 1 PM program. Come for all or part of meetings. 7/26/2007
Do you have an event to announce? E-mail Carol Yoho with web site content.
Minutes: April 20, 2013
District 1, Kansas Authors Club met at McFarland’s Restaurant at 11:30 a.m. on April 20, 2013 with 20 people present.
- While lunch was being served at 11:30 a.m. president Patricia Bonine began the meeting since we were requested to leave early so another group could use the room.
- The March minutes were made available and approved.
- Reaona Hemmingway gave the treasurer’s report and it was approved as read.
- Patricia Bonine distributed material concerning the 2015 convention District 1 will host. Members were asked to think about convention dates, location, theme and speakers before the next meeting. Committee members were appointed.
- Evie Green distributed information about Gary Clarke (COWABUNGA) being a guest on Kansas Public Ration on April 22, 2013 from noon to 3:00 p.m. Those making a pledge may call in and have their name announced on the air.
- The May 18, 2013 meeting will feature Gary Krohe speaking about his recent book, Portraits of Troy, a photo history of Topeka High School.
- Books for sale were made available by Brian W. Allen, Agnes Kazminski, and Mark Bouton.
- Those wishing a new name tag should contact Reaona Hemmingway.
- Patricia Bonine introduced the speaker Brian Allen who spoke about his recent book, My Paradise Lost. He credits Tom Averill for giving him insight into publication of his memoir. Brian gave a personal account of life growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, the last of the golden years of the Canal Zone and the turbulent ‘60s and ‘70s. His book is available through Amazon.com and the Amazon Kindle Store. After his interesting presentation Brian answered questions from the audience and offered signed copies of his book at a reduced price for KAC members present.
Patricia Bonine adjourned the meeting at 1:10 p.m.
—Respectfully submitted: Barbara Brady, Secretary District 1.
Return to Top of Page
District 1 generally meets on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland's Restaurant,
4133 SW Gage Center Dr., Topeka.
Lunch starts at 11:30 a.m. Club business intertwines with ordering the meal, and eating, with program after lunch, starting around 12:30 pm.
Officers of Kansas Authors Club, District 1
1st Vice President:
2nd Vice President:
4807 SW Commanche Rd., Topeka, KS 66614
Yvonne Evie Green
To add your news to our KAC web site contact Carol Yoho.
Return to Top of Page