|NEXT MEETING: Sat., Mar. 15, 2014:
“History from the Heart”
Debra Goodrich Bisel, historian, will speak with us.
A native Virginian, Deb earned her BA in history at Washburn University and studied at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming. Her book, The Civil War in Kansas, was released by the History Press in April, 2012, with a foreword by Gen. Richard B. Myers, 15th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Her book, Kansas Forts and Bases: Sentinels on the Prairie, with co-author Michelle Martin, was released in February, 2013.
Deb is a co-founder and serves on the selection committee for the Kansas Hall of Fame. She has appeared in more than a dozen documentaries including American Experience, History Channel, Discovery Channel, PBS, and was a featured speaker on C-SPAN. Deb has been the guest on dozens of talk radio shows around the country. and hosted her own radio show on KMAJ AM in Topeka. She is past president of the Shawnee County Historical Society and is co-president of the Civil War Roundtable of Eastern Kansas. She is the historian for Topeka Cemetery and teaches for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Visit Deb's bio web page.
COMING: District 1 Meeting, Sat., May 17
David Patterson, son of District 1 member Naomi Patterson, will be visiting us from Chicago—
Naomi Patterson was a prolific, award-winning author, with three published books of poetry and writer of over 160 newspaper columns. Naomi passed away on October 17, 2012, at the age of 78.
This past January, her family assembled her columns into a single collection, Second Spring: The Complete Topeka Capital-Journal Columns 1997-2012, essays that cover an entertaining melange of topics, including childrearing, holidays, contemporary social issues, and fainting goats—all reflecting Naomi's unique combination of gentle insight and sharp wit.
David will introduce us to this new collection, share some of Naomi's still unpublished work, and have copies of all of his mom's books available for purchase!
Scheduled meetings are usually held on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland’s Restaurant, 4133 SW Gage Center Drive, Topeka, KS • 11:30 a.m.
Anyone interested in writing is welcome to attend.
Mar. Member News: June Hilbert
Feb. Member News: June Hilbert
Jan. Member News: Gary K. Clarke | June Hilbert | Gary Krohe | Carol Yoho |
Do you have Member News for District 1? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Do you have an event to announce? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Women Writers Group meets every third Monday of each month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 5:45 PM. Check library schedule for room. There is no charge to attend. Bring 8 to 10 copies of your writing. Be prepared to read your work and make comments on the work of other writers. 6/3/2011
Writer's Group meets weekly on Wednesdays, at Blackbird Bistro in Fleming Place, 10th & Gage, Topeka, 6:00 PM. 5/27/2011
Write Stuff meets weekly on Tuesdays at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th St., Topeka, 9:30 AM. 5/27/2011
Kansas Writers, Inc. meets every fourth Saturday of the month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Av. Topeka, 2nd floor, 10 AM, Noon lunch on trays from Millennium Cafe, 12:30 PM business meeting; 1 PM program. Come for all or part of meetings. 7/26/2007
Do you have an event to announce? E-mail Carol Yoho with web site content.
2014 Meeting Minutes:
Minutes: February 15, 2014
District 1, Kansas Authors Club met a McFarland’s Restaurant at 11:30 a.m. on February 15, 2014 with 25 people present.
- Following lunch president Patricia Bonine convened the meeting at 12:40 p.m.
- Patricia Bonine introduced first time visitors LaVetta Westphal-Rolfs and Ron Richardson. She welcomed Mike Jamison and Randall Martin.
- Barbara Brady announced that Dorothy Masters, District 4 member, is seriously ill.
- The minutes for the January meeting were made available and approved.
- Reaona Hemmingway read the treasurer’s and it was approved as read.
- Patricia Bonine reminded everyone that membership fees are due by March 31st.
- The following people had books available for sale: Errol Anderson, June Hilbert, Brian Allen, Mark Bouton, and Reaona Hemmingway.
- Mystery writer Esther Luttrell was introduced by Patricia Bonine. In her delightful manner, Esther shared personal ups and downs with editors, script writing, rejecting an editor and promised compensation along with her eye problems. She addressed the issues of self-discipline, marketing, book signing, agents, and publishing books in print, audio, and eBooks. Following her entertaining and informative presentation, Esther answered questions from the audience. She closed with a challenge to write a 2500 word limit detective short story. If selected the winner will receive $10.00 plus a book in print in the series Cheap Detective Stories. Submissions should go as an attachment to email@example.com. Do not use the f word or God’s name as a curse word.
- Evie Green announced that Naomi Patterson’s son, David, will be in Topeka from Chicago in May and will present May's District 1 meeting program and read selections from a recently published collection of his mother's newspaper columns from The Topeka Capital-Journal, 1997-2012: Second Spring.
- Evie Green announced the March meeting will feature author and speaker Deb Goodrich Bisel.
The meeting was adjourned by Patricia Bonine at 1:45 p.m.
—Respectfully submitted: Barbara Brady, Secretary District 1
Return to Top of Page
District 1 generally meets on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland's Restaurant,
4133 SW Gage Center Dr., Topeka.
Lunch starts at 11:30 a.m. Club business intertwines with ordering the meal, and eating, with program after lunch, starting around 12:30 pm.
Officers of Kansas Authors Club, District 1
1st Vice President:
2nd Vice President:
4807 SW Commanche Rd., Topeka, KS 66614
Yvonne Evie Green
To add your news to our KAC web site contact Carol Yoho.
Return to Top of Page