Recent Meeting: Sat., Nov.16, 2013:
“District 1 Read-Around”
Post-convention Read-Around. Some attendees read their winning entries in the 2013 Adults Writing Contest from the KAC Convention in Wichita while others read personal writing of their choice.
- Saturday, December 21:
“I Am a Farm Wife”
June Hilbert, District 1, Topeka, will speak about writing her recently published memoir, From High Heels to Gumboots—One Cow Pie at a Time, and what she has learned about Indie Publishing, book promotion and internet blogging in the process.
Scheduled meetings are usually held on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland’s Restaurant, 4133 SW Gage Center Drive, Topeka, KS • 11:30 a.m.
Anyone interested in writing is welcome to attend.
Dec. Member News: Carol Yoho
Nov. Member News: Gary Clarke | Sylvia Colombo
Oct. Member News: June Hilbert
Sept. Member News: June Hilbert
Aug. Member News: Annabelle Corrick
Jun. Member News: Barbara Brady | Errol Anderson |
Reaona Hemmingway 1 & 2 | Michael Jamison | Anne McCourtie |
George Paris | Mary Alice Parmley | Max Yoho 1, 2 & 3
May Member News: Barbara Brady | P. Arden Corbin | Gary Krohe |
Naomi Patterson | Carol Yoho | Max Yoho
Apr. Member News: P. Arden Corbin | Gary Krohe | Max Yoho
Mar. Member News: P. Arden Corbin | Jeremy Deckard | Gary Krohe
Do you have Member News for District 1? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
June Hilbert, District 1, Meriden, will sign copies of her memoir, From High Heels to Gumboots— One Cow Pie at a Time, at the Burlingame Library, 101 East Santa Fe, on Saturday, December 7, 2013, from 10:30 AM-12:30 PM. There will be cookies for sale. (Gumboots Barbie may pop the seams of her already-skin-tight jeans!)
Do you have an event to announce? Contact Carol Yoho with web site content.
Women Writers Group meets every third Monday of each month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 5:45 PM. Check library schedule for room. There is no charge to attend. Bring 8 to 10 copies of your writing. Be prepared to read your work and make comments on the work of other writers. 6/3/2011
Writer's Group meets weekly on Wednesdays, at Blackbird Bistro in Fleming Place, 10th & Gage, Topeka, 6:00 PM. 5/27/2011
Write Stuff meets weekly on Tuesdays at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th St., Topeka, 9:30 AM. 5/27/2011
Kansas Writers, Inc. meets every fourth Saturday of the month at Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Av. Topeka, 2nd floor, 10 AM, Noon lunch on trays from Millennium Cafe, 12:30 PM business meeting; 1 PM program. Come for all or part of meetings. 7/26/2007
Do you have an event to announce? E-mail Carol Yoho with web site content.
Minutes: November 16, 2013
District 1, Kansas Authors Club, met at McFarland’s Restaurant at 11:30 a.m. on November 16, 2013 with 21 people present.
- Following lunch president Patricia Bonine convened the meeting at 12:30 p.m.
- Brian Allen introduced his wife Tucker Allen who attended as his guest.
- Errol Anderson and June Hilbert offered books for sale.
- Patricia Bonine told about a call for submissions for prose and poetry. Information about Reimagined: Bridging This World and Others may be found at http://www.utulsa.edu/nimrod/manuscripts.html.
- Carol Yoho announced a book signing of local authors at Topeka Shawnee County Public Library on December 8, 2013 at 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- Carol Luttjohnn told about an upcoming article to be in the Topeka Capital Journal featuring a story on care giving. The article will include Carol’s experience caring for her mother with dementia.
- The minutes of the October meeting were made available and approved.
- Reaona Hemmingway read the treasurer’s report and the report was approved.
- Patricia Bonine asked for volunteers for the planning of the convention when District 1 will be in charge.
- Evie Green announced the program for the December meeting will be presented by June Hilbert.
- A read-around was conducted by Patricia Bonine. A wide variety of prose and poetry was shared by members with a mixture of humor and solemnity. Those participating were: Patrica Bonine, Janet Stotts, Glory Hemmingway, Reaona Hemmingway, Tom Ellis, Agnes Kazminski, Errol Anderson, Carol Yoho, June Hilbert, Dennis Smirl, Evie Green, Phil Morris, Barbara Brady, Karen Brown, Annabelle Corrick, Carol Luttjohnn, and Brian Allen.
The meeting was adjourned by Patricia Bonine at 2:00 p.m.
—Respectfully submitted: Barbara Brady, Secretary District 1
Return to Top of Page
District 1 generally meets on the third Saturday of each month at McFarland's Restaurant,
4133 SW Gage Center Dr., Topeka.
Lunch starts at 11:30 a.m. Club business intertwines with ordering the meal, and eating, with program after lunch, starting around 12:30 pm.
Officers of Kansas Authors Club, District 1
1st Vice President:
2nd Vice President:
4807 SW Commanche Rd., Topeka, KS 66614
Yvonne Evie Green
To add your news to our KAC web site contact Carol Yoho.
Return to Top of Page