2014 Coffin Award
J. Donald Coffin Memorial Book Award Deadline: June 15, 2014
The J. Donald Coffin Memorial Book Award was established by Mrs. Bertha
Coffin to honor the memory of her husband, a long-time member and
officer of KAC, after his death on September 6, 1978. An award of
$100.00 will be given each year to a KAC member according to the rules
The J. Donald Coffin
Award is intended to honor the best published book (excluding history and poetry, which have their own contests) written by a member
of Kansas Authors Club. Books published within the two
years prior to June 1, 2014, are eligible for the 2014 award.
An entry form has been developed to certify eligibility of a book. You
can get a copy of that form from your district president or the form is
available for download here. Coffin Award application form —downloadable PDF file.
Go to Adobe website to download Adobe Reader.
The entry form should accompany the book when it is submitted to the State Vice-President.
2014 Rules for Competition are downloadable as a PDF file and are printed below:
Rules for Competition:
- Any member of Kansas Authors Club who has written a book published, issued in print, and available for public distribution within the two years prior to June 1 of the current year is eligible. The book may be either privately or commercially published.
- One copy of the book, accompanied by a completed application form, should be sent by June 15 to the chairperson of the J. Donald Coffin Memorial Book Award Committee (KAC Vice President), The application form is available online at the KAC web site, from district presidents, or by mail from the KAC Vice-President. Non-winning books will be returned at the convention. If you will not be present at the convention, please include return postage.
- No entry fee is required.
- The award will be presented to the winner at the 2014 Annual Convention and Writers Conference in Hutchinson, at the evening banquet on Saturday, October 11 2014 . The author receiving the award will then present to Mrs. Coffin a copy of that book to be placed in the Council Grove Library. If Mrs. Coffin is not present at the Annual convention to receive a copy of the book, the author is responsible for mailing one to her as soon as possible following the convention at her mailing address listed under District 4 of the membership directory.
- Books submitted may be in any category in good taste, except poetry and Kansas history, which have their own book awards.
- Mail one copy of your book and completed entry form by June 15, 2014 to:
Coffin Memorial Book Award Competition
Roy J. Beckemeyer
957 Perry Ave.
Wichita, KS 67203-3141
Send email to Roy
J. Donald Coffin Memorial Award
2013 Tiger Hunting, Tracy Million Simmons, Emporia, D2
2012 Gary Clarke's Africa, Gary Clarke, Topeka, D1
2011 Feisty Family Values, B.D. Tharp, Wichita, D. 5
2010 Hometown Appetites: The Story of Clementine Paddleford,
the Forgotten Food Writer Who Chronicled How America Ate,
Cynthia Harris, D6, & Kelly Alexander
2009 Ride a Shadowed Trail, Eunice Boeve, Phillipsburg, D.6
2008 Targets of Rage, Sam Pierson, Lebo, D.2
2007 The Moon Butter Route, Max Yoho , Topeka, D.1
2006 Diary of a German War Bride, Trudy McFarland, Topeka, D.1
2005 Life, I Think, Is Like a Watermelon, LeNore Stumpf, Axtell, D. 4
2004 Max Conquers the Cosmos, Mark Bouton , Carbondale, D. 2
Tom Mach, Lawrence, D. 2
Revival, Max Yoho, Topeka, D. 1
2001 Summer of the Crow, Eunice
Boeve, Phillipsburg, D. 6
2000 Freedom Ships, Robert D.
Carey, Topeka, D. 1
1999 The Lie, Lloyd Ballhagen,
Hutchinson, D. 6
1998 A Backward View, Mark Scheel,
Mission, D. 2
1997 Small Towns, Dark Secrets, Lloyd
Ballhagen, Hutchinson, D. 6
1996 Gathering Reunion, David
Tangeman, Topeka, D. 1
1995 Wind Songs in the Wheat, v. 3, Ruth
Ebberts, Eureka, D. 3
1994 Sarah of the Border Wars, Dr.
James Yoder, Hesston, D. 5
1993 The Potsdam Protocol, Al
Clovis, Topeka, D. 1
1992 The Enchanted Prairie, Esther
Loewen Vogt, Hillsboro, D. 4
1991 Cloud of Darkness, Emanuela
O'Malley, Salina, D. 4
1990 Worker in Wood, Leland R.
Johnson, Wichita, D. 5
1989 Sandscript, W.L. Lambert,
Liberal, D. 7
1988 Flame in the Wind, Enola
V. Feldman, Garden City, D. 7
1987 The Preacher's Kid, G. Robert
Haywood, Topeka, D. 1
1986 Passes at the Moon, Thomas
Fox Averill, Topeka, D. 1
1985 Lady Sheilla's Groom, Monette
Cummings, Lawrence, D. 2
1984 ABC's From Dugout to Astronaut, Floyd
E. Pope, Wichita, D. 5
1983 Jayhawk Children, Blanch
Carroll Rush, Winfield, D. 3
1982 Not By Bread Alone, Raymond
S. Nelson, Wichita, D. 5
1981 Red Are the Embers, Guanetta
Gordon, Sun City, AZ, D. 2
1980 A History of Kiowa, Old and New, on the
Jean M. Brown, Kiowa, D. 6
1979 True Tales of the Old Time Plains,
David Dary, Lawrence, D. 2
Kansas Authors Club--A
Not-for-profit organization for creative, academic, technical and
journalistic writers. Membership inquiries