The Mueller-Schmidt House Museum
(Built in 1881-oldest Dodge City house on original site)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 72000499
Photo of Mueller-Schmidt House

Built with 22-inch limestone walls by John Mueller, the first bootmaker in old Dodge City, and a leading cattleman, hotel and bar owner. Purchased in 1890 by pioneer blacksmith Adam Schmidt. Two of Adam and Elizabeth Schmidt's children lived in the house until 1960. Ford County purchased the house in 1965. There is a special collection on Pioneer Mothers. Original furniture from the Mueller and Schmidt families is featured, along with artifacts from the pioneers of Dodge City, including Robert M. Wright, Charles Rath, Bat Masterson, George M. Hoover, Wyatt Earp & Ham Bell.

*Scroll down to go on a virtual tour of the Mueller-Schmidt home.
Photo of Mueller-Schmidt House    Photo of Mueller-Schmidt House
  If you do not have QuickTime® click here to download the free player.

Click on the photographs to view a panorama
Click Here to view the Foyer Click Here to view the Kitchen Click Here to view Elma Schmidt's bedroom Click Here to view Heinie Schmidt's Bedroom Click Here to view the Parlor

Return to Ford County Historical Society
or Dodge City Tourism

Mueller-Schmidt House (1881) History
Dodge City History

Kansas Heritage Group
Kansas History


QT Virtual Tour by Daniel Diaz, Peter Monterubio and George Laughead.

Copyright © 2002-2010, Ford County Historical Society, Inc.,
PO Box 131, Dodge City, KS 67801-0131
Member:
Kansas Museums Association
Kansas State Historical Society
Mountain-Plains Museums Association
American Association of Museums