The Friesen house was built in 1911 by Daniel B. Friesen. This home illustrates the type of home found in this community at the turn of the century. As the immigrants became more established in Kansas many abandoned the small homes built at first and adopted a more American style of home. This house shows how Mennonites began to assimilate into American society by building larger and more stylish homes.
The architecture style of this house is Victorian Vernacular. They furnished their home with more decorative furniture than handmade furniture. The rhubank in the hallway demonstrates the some handmade furniture continued to be used in these modern homes but were often placed in rooms not visible to guests, such as the kitchen and bedrooms. parlor, were furnished with decorative furniture, musical instruments and record players.
This house has many interesting features. For instance, the bedroom on the first floor was the parents' bedroom. The children's rooms were upstairs. The summer kitchen is in the attached kitchen, which is unusual. Most summer kitchens were separate from the house. Summer kitchens in this community had a lard rendering caldron or miagrope and a cooking hearth or spoaheat. These ovens used grass and straw as fuel. The miagrope is bricked into the comer of the kitchen. The small front door closes off the firebox, this allowed the kettle to heat quickly with only a minimum of fuel. This miagrope was used for more than cooking, it was also used to wash clothes, to make soap, and to heat water for scalding the hog. As for cooking, it was used as a large soup kettle to cook mutton soup and pluma moos and to boil large hams. The spoaheat was used throughout the summer months for family and company cooking, and meals cooked during the time Of Summer harvest and threshing. The spoaheat had two fireboxes, one on top for cooking borscht and one on the bottom for baking bread, such as zwieback. The spoaheat used flax, hay and kindling as well as straw for heat. This kitchen has both ovens and a modern 1911 stove as well.
This house was originally located ½ mile east of Goessel.
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
|© Copyright 1999
Mennonite Heritage Museum