The first bank in Goessel, the Goessel State Bank, located at 220 East Main, was established in 1910 with a capital of $10,000 and a surplus of $ 1,000. The bank was a one-man operation for most of its twenty-five-year history. Henry J. Loewen served as cashier from 1912 to 1935. From 1929 to 1932 assisted by Ben Boese, who worked as teller and posting machine operator.
During the Depression, in 1935, the bank's charter was purchased by Midland Bank of Newton. The Goessel State Bank's depositors suffered no losses, primarily because of Loewen's conservative lending practices.
The building currently displays artifacts from past Goessel businesses as well as Post Office boxes.
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
|© Copyright 1999
Mennonite Heritage Museum