This site is no longer being maintained and will be inactivated soon!


Please Use Our New Website





Clock in Kingman Carnegie Library, Kingman, Kansas

FACTS ABOUT
the
Kingman
Carnegie Library

455 N. Main
Kingman, Kansas
(620) 532-3061

FAX: (620) 532-2528


HOURS
Mon., Tues., & Thur.
10 a.m. - 8 p.m. 

Wed. & Fri. 
10 a.m. - 6 p.m. 

Sat. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. 

 NEW! Online card catalog

The library building is a two-story, rectangular, Neo-Classical red brick building. The east elevation houses the main entrance with a stone pediment above, carrying the Carnegie library name.  The library is listed on the Kansas and National Register of Historic Places.
 
The library has recently undergone outside maintenance and repairs, though no design changes.  This project was partially supported by a Heritage Trust Fund grant from the Kansas State Historical Society, in the amount of $24,000 with a $6,000 match from the city.

 
HISTORY
The library movement began in Kingman in 1885, when members of the Women's Christian Temperance Union donated a few books for a circulating library.  In 1890, the Nineteenth Century Club was organized, and the infant club gave impetus to the library movement.  In 1888, the library was moved from a private home to the city hall building, and a reading room was opened.

As early as May, 1911, the library board was obtaining a Carnegie grant, and in May, 1912, an investigation for a site for a Carnegie library got underway.  Correspondence was begun with Andrew Carnegie and on May 21, 1913, the library board obtained a Carnegie grant for $10,000 to build a library.
 
Two lots were purchased from Robert and Rebecca Cates for $700.00, the lots being in the 400 block of North Main at the intersection with Avenue D West (U.S. Highway 54).  The library dedication was held on June 23, 1914, at which time the library was opened to the public.

In 1932, the main stairs to the entrance on the east were removed, and a divided entrance stair, present today, was constructed.  Completed in 1987 was a 2,600 square foot addition to the existing 4,280 square foot building.

Mission
The mission of the library is to provide modern library resources, services and programs to meet the educational, recreational and informational needs of the community.  The library functions as a service center library and a back-up for major resource centers. Resources at the library are supplemented by resources from the South Central Kansas Library System, the Kansas State Library, and the interlibrary loan system.

The Board

Dennis Albright......................... Chairman
Ron Forrester........................ Member
Susan Moore...................... Member
Sandy Davis.......................... Member
Desiree Moore..................... Member

Jay Smith ............................

Member
Karen Ward......................... Member
Grace G. Helm ......................... SCKLS Representative

 

Staff

 

Our Librarians through the years
  • Mrs. Mary M. Conkling
  • Mrs. L. M Berry
  • Mrs. Davis - 1913
  • Mrs. Alice McIlhenny 1913-1919
  • Miss Ethel Summers 1919-1965
  • Mrs. Reva Jo Weniger 1965-1981
  • Mrs. Carol Grimes 1981-1989
  • Mrs. Linda Slack 1989-2006
  • Mrs. Grace Helm 2006- Present

 

  • Membership In Associations

Kingman Carnegie Library, Director: Grace G. Helm, kingc1lb@websurf.net
455 N. Main, Kingman, KS 67068-1395 / (620) 532-3061  FAX: (620) 532-2528

ABOUT
Updated April 21, 2011

Visit Kingman & Kingman County and these other sites about Kansas:
  Colleges   Counties   Genealogy   History   Libraries   Museums   Poetry   Towns

Blue Skyways Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1997- 2005
Kingman Carnegie Library
Kansas on the Net