The library is closed Sundays between Memorial Day and Labor Day
The mission of the Bradford Memorial Library is to provide library services to persons of all ages in the community. The library will make readily available the most requested materials in various formats and serve as an access point for any needed information. In addition, emphasis will be placed on encouraging young children to develop an interest in reading for enjoyment and learning.
On March 11, 1897, the El Dorado Free Library was established on the second
floor of the city building with a $75 annual allowance from the city fathers.
The library was open two hours a day three days a week.
On December 2, 1912, as a result of a $10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie,
the first public library building opened its doors.
In June, 1957, Mrs. Ruth Bradford, a library trustee, donated $200,000
for the erection of a new public library building as a memorial to her
husband, Robert Bradford II. Mr. Bradford had been a leading citizen
of the El Dorado community; he was president of the El Dorado National
Bank, vice-president and treasurer of the El Dorado Refining Company,
oil producer and real estate owner.
In December of 1996, renovation was completed which added space and
a new parking lot on the East side.
In November of 1997, the library went online with a new automated
circulation system, including dial up access to the public catalog.
The Bradford memorial Library actively promotes and invites the use
of the collection and the facility by the community.
Send comments to webmaster
Last updated: December 02, 2003
Copyright © 2001 Bradford Memorial Library.