|Founded: 1887||Population: 407 (2010)|
|School District: USD 299||Elevation: 1500 feet feet|
|ZIP code: 67648||Latitude: 39° 3' 22" N|
|Area Code: 785||Longitude: 98° 32' 10" W|
Watch - A Drive Through History Along The Post Rock Scenic Byway
Flying Pig Studio & Gallery
Garden of Eden
Grassroots Art Center
Lucas Area Community Theater
Post Rock Scenic Byway
Russell County Lodging
Worlds Largest Things
Lucas, a farming community of 407 people, is known as the "Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas". The World’s Largest Souvenir Travel Plate welcomes you to town, and traditional Post Rock limestone architecture enhances neighborhoods and downtown businesses. Lucas is home to a thriving downtown, a community-based, first-run movie theater, and some wonderful art experiences. World famous outsider art environment Garden of Eden has been an attraction since 1907, built by Civil War Veteran S.P. Dinsmoor. Over 150 three story concrete structures show the pioneering spirit of this town that embraces art by everyday people. The Garden of Eden is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, also consists of a stone log cabin home and a mausoleum where Mr. Dinsmoor and his first wife are buried.
The Grassroots Art Center houses the work of untrained artists of the region. Ceramic wonders await you at the Flying Pig Studio and Gallery. While in Lucas don't miss The Worlds Largest Things just south of the Garden of Eden. Be sure to see the World's Smallest Mural and also remember to bring a chair for Erika's "Chairy" Tree.
Lucas is nestled in the heart of Post Rock Country and the Smoky Hills region of Kansas. It is located in Russell county at the junction of K-18 and K-232 highways just eight miles north of beautiful Wilson Lake, the "Clearest Lake in Kansas". Winding around Wilson Lake from I-70 to Lucas is the Post Rock Scenic Byway. The byway kiosk at the west end of the Wilson Lake Dam tells the history of the limestone used in the area and the towns of Lucas and Wilson.
|Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
|© Copyright 1999
Lucas C of C