Montgomery County Elk City, Kansas

 Elk City Quarterly News


    2nd Quarter 2013
    April, May, June 2013

    A quick note, this web page is sponsored by Elk City PRIDE in connection with Kansas State University PRIDE Program and through the Blueskyways Library System. PRIDE and the people of Elk City make up the content of this website.

Check It Out

pictures from the 2013 Elk City High School Alumni Banquet

pictures from the 2013 Elk City Memorial Day Program

Kids Bike Safety Event

Safe Kids held a Bike Safety Bash here in May at the community building. A total of thirty kids came to the event and learned abut the rules of the road for bicycles. They also received a free helmet and water bottle for completing the safety course. A huge thank you goes out to all the volunteers that helped with the event. The bikers learned hand signals for the obstacle course and the signs they will encounter along the street.

Keli Mart Reopens

The new owners are Sam, Chris & Kathleen Brannaman. Heather Adams, soon to be the Mrs. Sam Brannaman and Rob Jones. Sam is the new chef at the Keli mart, a world class Trained chef, who attended Culinary School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was the Valedictorian of his class. He has cooked for Disney World and the Mayor & Cardinal of Pittsburgh. Sam & Heather are running the Keli Mart as of now and at some point, Chris & Kathleen will be the joining them.

They specialize in their own smoked BBQ. Some of you may remember the BBQ trailer at Old Settler’s Days, this was them

The Store is open 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday thru Sat. and closed on Sunday. They plan to be a fully stocked convenience store as well as café. The gas pumps are up and running, Stop by, meet Sam & Heather, have a hamburger or BBQ, drink a cup of coffee or tea. Elk City needs a convenience store, as we all found out when the doors were closed. Only thru community support will they be able to keep the Keli Mart open.

2013 Alumni Banquet

pictures from the 2013 Elk City High School Alumni Banquet

The Elk City High School Alumni Banquet was held May 25th at the Independence High School Cafeteria. A large group enjoyed a good meal provided by Down Home Restaurant. The class of 1963 were the hosts of this years banquet; it was also their 50th year reunion. A slide show of Elk City pictures were shown, class roll was called and a special award was presented to the Newton Family for all their years of support to the Banquet without fail each year. An award was also presented to Sylvia Raydene Clubine for all her work on Elk City history and publishing historical books on Elk City and about the days gone by.

Happenings in 1963

Biggest News Event: Assassination of President John F. Kennedy, November 22
US and World Events: Indiana State Fair Coliseum Explosion kills 74; Studebaker ends production; Hurricane Flora Kills over 6,000 in Haiti, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada
Technology Events: AQT&T introduces touch tone phones, and Zip Codes were implemented
Inventions: Tape Cassettes and pull tab can
Popular Movies: The Birds, The Great Escape, Cleopatra, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lawrence of Arabia, Mutiny on the Bounty
Popular TV shows: Lassie, The Virginian, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Flintstones, Mr. Ed, The Avengers
Popular Music Artists: Beatles, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, The drifters, Jim Reeves; Beatles released their first album, Please, Please Me
Born in 1963: Michael Jordan, Johnny Depp
Cost of Living: Yearly inflation rate in USA 1.24%; Year End Close Dow Jones - 762; Average Cost of New house $12,000.00, Average Income per year $5,807.00, Gas per gallon 29 cents, Average cost of new car $3,233, Loaf of Bread 22 cents.

Elk Valley Moon Buggy

The Elk Valley Moonbuggy crew traveled to Huntsville, Alabama for the 7th year to compete in NASA Great Moonbuggy Race. For two decades, NASA has used its Great Moonbuggy Race as way to inspire students to feats of engineering and athletic prowess. Competitors have to design, build, and race lightweight, human-powered vehicles that can traverse a half-mile course simulating the surface of the moon. NASA says that the "race teams face many of the same engineering challenges dealt with by Apollo-era lunar rover developers ... in the late 1960s." 100 registered student teams from 33 states, Puerto Rico, Canada, Germany, India, Mexico & Russia.

VFW Memorial Day Service

pictures from the 2013 Elk City Memorial Day Program

Memorial Day was a bright sunny morning. The VFW put up the Avenue of Flags early that morning and the Bennett family placed a flag on each persons grave marker who had served in a war. Everyone viewed the Memorial Lot which has a cross placed in honor of the Gold Star Boys. Also new to the Memorial Lot was an all service black granite stone dedicated to all the Military Services. About the time the VFW service was to begin the wind picked up and about blew everyone away. The wind did bend a couple of the flag poles from the Avenue of Flags. The VFW service began with the raising of the flag to half staff. All three ministers took part in the dedication service to honor our military and the VFW members placed a wreath of flowers on the lot; then other members served as the rifle squad which did a 21 gun salute. The ceremony ended with playing of taps in the back ground. Many of the graves both old and new were decorated with lovely flowers.

Model T update

Model T update: The motor has been put back in and we will be trying to start it soon. Tires will be the next big thing that will be purchased and we are still short on funds for them. Thank you for all the donations. Donations can be sent to P.O. Box 176 Elk City, KS 67344. We are still looking for older pictures of the Model T we will take copies so you can keep your original. Thanks Jimmy & Eric

Jo's Corner


At our Monday meeting we discussed the moon and the farmer’s almanac. I planted lettuce & spinach according to the sign and they came up despite being snowed on. And the question arose: When is the dark or light of the moon? So according to the almanac explanation….You might assume that based on the name, the dark of the moon might be when the moon is giving out the least light, but actually the opposite is true. The dark of the moon is when the moon is decreasing, getting darker or waning. The dark of the moon is the period before the new moon or from full moon to new moon. During the dark of the moon, the moon rises late and does most of its shining when we are in bed sleeping. Light of the moon is when the moon in increasing or getting lighter, waxing. The light of the moon is after the new moon or between the new moon and full moon.

The weather just isn’t cooperating with garden & corn planting. Doug Heady on the Pittsburg CH 7 reports it will be rainy the whole month! My mom used to tell me it snowed on April 4th the year I was born and we’ve probably had snow later than that.

So finally mark the calendars, April 8th the farmers are working ground and planting corn under the threat of storms this week. They are so much happier when they are playing in the dirt! ? Although their joy was short lived with the cold weather and rain again. The wheat is about two weeks ahead of schedule and this dip in temps may hurt the yield. Wonder what this dip will do to the buds, blooms and perennials that are showing up? How did the gardens fair with the cold temps? 32 yr. ago it was a nice warm, sunny day on Apr. 18th.


May is always a busy month, full of activities. Elk Valley had a Community Work Day cleaning up at city hall and around town. Steve is retiring from the Elk Valley School Board and it is his last year to hand out diplomas to graduates. It's been a tradition for the seniors to give him a memento as they shake his hand. This year was no exception! Each Senior gave him a piece of adornment; Boa's, bracelets, necklaces, pink cap, award ribbons etc.

Morning coffee talk - Corn planting is done and it is coming up reasonably well considering the cold & wet beginning. The wheat is looking great and we are hoping the hailstorms stay away. Soybean planting is on schedule for the end of May unless it keeps raining and floods. When it rains it pours! Bad storms the week of 20th triggered tornado sirens in the area & blew a tree down across the Elk River bridge west of town. Lenny has over 100 tomato plants. The Morel Mushroom hunters have had an abundant season & some were quite profitable.

It’s time to celebrate! Michele sold the Keli-Mart. We can’t wait to see what the new owners will do with the ‘ol place. Morning jam sessions again!


May kept us busy with graduations and Memorial day fun and trying to constantly dry out between rains. The corn is still growing, think in spots, soybeans were planted, some replanted and the wheat began to ripen towards the end of May. Wheat harvest should be in full swing, but recent rains have slowed the pace, with the wheat looking good, despite some of the farmers having trouble with wheat that blew down in recent storms. The people plaqued by tornados need prayers and we are grateful we didn't have anyone in those paths. My brother had some flooding from the Verdigris, but at least machinery and home wasn't affected this time. The gardens and flowers are looking good, just need some sun shine and a little dry ground. We don't need drought conditions, which is always the next thing if we complain about the rain. There are plenty of rolly polly bugs eating my veggies and flowers!

June is the month of LOVE in the air with weddings Several weddings with Elk City folks.What I learned this month.... "This Mess is A Place" was a sign I saw and with the grass and weeds growing rampant from recent rains, that's about how I feel.

Church News

The First Christian Church hosted a Ladies Salad Supper for Mothers Day. They also invited everyone to a community meal.

The Methodist-Christian Church Bible School was held the end of June. This year the VBS and program was held at the Methodist Church. This years theme was "Kingdom Rock"

The First Christian Church decided to publish a community cookbook filled to the brim with recipes from our area.

Church of the Nazarene held their Vacation Bible School in July. Each night includes, fun songs, great snacks and crafts, outdoor games, lessons on being strong in God, and our favorite puppets, Rockin' Grandpa and his friends.

Community Auction

The Community Auction in May was a Dr. Jekle and Mr. Hyde sort of day. Woke up in the morning to drizzle and cold. The nice plans of having a lovely day outdoors at a n outdoor auction were scrapped and the auction was held in the Community Building. Table after table of auction items were set up. The people of Elk City went all out in supplying auction items. The day itself was cold and nasty all day which kept some of the bidders away. For the kind of day it turned out pretty well. We hope to make some necessary repairs to the outside of the Community building

Around Town

A new Research and Historical Record Center has opened up in Independence. It is associated with the Independence Museum and Art Center They are housing some of the old court records, books on marriages, deaths etc. township records, maps, DAR books, family files. There are several projects being worked on, Civil War Soldiers, Pioneer Men, Pioneer Women, funeral home records etc.

Members of the Gingham Aprons at their High Tea, lots of fun.

Gingham Aprons FCE held their annual Guest Day in April. The lesson "Where in the World is Chennai" was given in two parts; one lesson was on Indian Food the other was information and facts on India. A luncheon was served with traditional Indian dishes. In May the lesson "Get Financially Prepared" Take steps ahead of Disaster.

PRIDE is picking the Yard of the Month and Spirit of PRIDE yard signs again this year. Each month two yards are picked, The yards in town who try to keep their yard neat and clean are in the running. The committee can only pick two each month. It lasts through the summer months and into a bit of fall.

Elk City had no restaurants or morning coffee destinations. WOW now Elk City is booming with 3 new places to drink coffee and eat at 6 a.m. Keli-Mart is open Monday through Saturday serving breakfast, lunch, supper. The Salt and Pepper Cafe owned and operated by Patrick Fowler and family is also open at 6 a.m. serving breakfast, lunch and supper and Dan's Bar is now open for coffee, snacks, pop and donuts at 6 a.m.

It's a long road to the Pitch, Hit and Run Kansas City championship but for one 8 year old Elk City boy it felt longer. It was held at the Royals' Kauffman Stadium. Not only did he have to make it through his local event and sectional like the other 24 kids, his dad had to host a round in Fredonia. The family has a field set up in a pasture that used to hold horses. Dad built a backstop out of a metal A fram, a couple of steel posts and a tarp so that the boys could pitch to each other and the ball doesn't go flying off in the Kansas wind. The boys call it the "Field of Dreams"

On Memorial Day a swarm of bees were discovered on one of the tomb stones. Our bee man was called and he came out and collected the new queen bee swarm - swarming to look for a home. Bees were collected and taken to a new home made honey comb home.

Days Gone Bye

Taken in part from the History of Kansas Book by Wm. G. Cutler, Montgomery County published in 1883

Of the many cities whose rise and fall, or ultimate success are recorded in the history of Montgomery County, Elk City was the first to become established. It is situated in the northwestern part of the county, on the line of the K. C., L. & S. K. R. R., about 175 miles southwest of Kansas City, and in the valley of the Elk River, at the mouth of Duck Creek.

The town is surrounded by a large territory of excellent and productive valley land - the Elk Valley being noted for the superior excellence and fertility of its soil - from which a large and prosperous trade is derived.

Early in 1868, John Kappel established a trading post here, on the land which he afterward entered and deeded as a claim. Shortly after this date, and in December, 1868, the idea of starting a town, at this point, was conceived, and for the furtherance of the project, a town company was organized, of which A. H. Baird was chairman, and Dr. Miller was secretary. The company selected Kappel's claim, at the confluence of Duck Creek with Elk River, as the town site, as affording the most favorable and desirable location. Besides Kappel's trading post, the next business started in the town was that by A. E. Baird, in a log building, consisting of general stock, and the next was M. D. Wright, who, in 1870, began selling stationery, notions, etc., in a little log building, the upper part of which he occupied as living apartments, carrying on his business on the ground floor, having brought his goods with him in a covered wagon, when he migrated thither.

Among the earliest to establish in business in the town, was A. R. Quigg, who engaged in the hardware trade, which he still follows. Kappel's old trading store, after having undergone overhauling, with new front, etc., forms the room now occupied by Watts & Masterman's furniture store.

In 1869, S. B. Davis, T. J. Brown and Samuel Maples built the first saw mill at the place. The first blacksmith shop was built by J. P. Morgan, in 1870. During the years of 1869-70, the stream of emigration poured at its height, and the population of the town had largely increased, so that as early as the spring of 1871, it had attained the necessary proportions, and was ready to assume the dignity of a city of the third class. Since that time, the growth of the city has been moderate and of a substantial and healthy character, and at present it has a population of 500. The city is experiencing a revival of progress and improvement, several large brick business rooms, a commodious brick hotel and school building having been erected during the present season.

The first death within the limits of the city, was that of Thomas Hammond, who was shot and killed by a man named Morrison. The difficulty had arisen some time previously, concerning a plow, and a rehearsal of this resulted as above, when Morrison fled the country.

The first child born was Willie Hammond, son of Thomas and Bertha Hammond, in April, 1869 and who was killed during the same month, at the disaster at the Elk City

Although Elk City afterward proved a successful attempt as an enterprise of town building, her beginning was made in the midst of spirited rivalry. Bloomfield, about a mile northeast, and Tipton a little way east of the town, were established, and sought to win in the race for supremacy. But Elk City took the lead, outstripping these two places, which it afterward wholly absorbed, the latter being now a "city of the dead," the site being occupied as a cemetery, and of the former, not a vestige remains to mark the solitary grounds upon which stood the embryo city. Each of these places, during its existence, contained some eight or ten dwellings, a dry goods, drug and grocery stores.

The railroad was constructed to Elk City in 1879, and was of much advantage in stimulating its improvement and growth.

As before stated, the tide of emigration was at its flood during the years of 1869 and 1870. This, besides filling up the country with a numerous farming population, even, in greater ratio, also stimulated and built up the towns. Elk City coming in for her share, was ready in a little more than two years from its incipiency, having attained the requisite legal population to become organized as a city of the third class. The town, therefore, became duly and legally incorporated in the spring of 1871, and Herbert Prentiss was elected Mayor, James Smith, Police Judge, and Uri Coy, J. Baldwin, Whig Southard, W. W. Woodring and A. R. Quigg, members of the City Council. Prentiss resigned the office of Mayor before the expiration of the term, and was succeeded by Uri Coy. The present city officials are: Samuel Weston, Mayor; A. J. Garrison, Clerk; S. N. West, Treasurer; H. H. Burdick, Police Judge; W. Aldridge, Marshal, and W. Mussen, H. Woodring, M. P. Freely, A. J. Garrison and S. N. West, members of the City Council.

A post office was established at Elk City in 1870, and William Henry Harrison Southard, or for short, as he was called, "Whig" Southard, held the commission as Postmaster, the office being kept in Osa Sherman's store. About a year after, A. J. Clark succeeded to the position, who, in about another year's time gave way to M. D. Wright, who has since continued in the capacity of Postmaster, the office being kept in his stationery and notion store.


The first public school was taught in the town by William Osborne, in 1869, and was kept in a log house belonging to a man named Chandler. In this place, and in the building erected by Thomas Harris for a hotel, the schools were held until the completion of the regular school building. The work of erecting a schoolhouse began in 1871, and by the month of January, 1872 was completed, and was 26x40 feet in dimensions one story frame. This building served the schools in a cramped condition, until the fall of 1882, when a commodious new school building was erected. The house is a two-story brick, containing four rooms, being 33x63 feet in size, in the main, with appropriate and artistic wings and projections, and was built at a cost to the district, when completed of nearly $4,000, for the payment of which, in part, bonds were issued by the city to the amount of $3,375.

During the early part of the year 1882 the schools, numbering 218 pupils underwent a sort of grading or division, and were made to comprise the primary, intermediate and grammar school departments, which respectively, were under the charge of Miss Ella Perkins, Miss McDowell and A. C. Sewell, each of whom were generally regarded as teachers of superior efficiency, and under whose management the schools experienced a degree of prosperity never before equalled.

The city contains, among her institutions several church organizations, by which is indexed the moral and Christian sentiment cherished among the majority of the citizens.

The first sermon preached in the place was delivered by the Rev. Smith Gossett of the denomination of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in 1869.

The Primitive Baptist Church was established on the first Saturday of September 1869, by the Rev. M. F. Hedges, at the residence of W. W. Woodring, then about a mile and a half southeast of town, with a membership of nine. Meetings were held at residences and schoolhouses until in 1882, when they conducted worship in the Presbyterian Church. The present membership is fourteen, under charge of Rev. J. T. Swinney.

The Missionary Baptist Church was organized in November, 1869, by Rev. John Roe at the residence of T. J. Brook, about two miles south of the town, with eleven members. This body, also worshiped in private houses and in school buildings until in 1882 , at which time they purchased the old school building in the city, which undergoing remodeling and repairing, was fitted up as a place of worship. The congregation now numbering twenty-six members, is under the pastorate of Rev. W. Gable.

The Methodist Episcopal Church became established in 1871, under the supervision of Rev. Samuel Lampman. The congregation, having no church building, then, as now was compelled to shift about for a place of holding meetings, as necessity demanded, and at present occupy the Presbyterian Church and is ministered to by Rev. Mr. Bennett.

The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was instituted at Elk City, in 1873, by Rev. Mr. McClure. The work of organization took place in the school building, and was effected with fourteen members. Services were held in the schoolhouse until the Presbyterian Church was completed, and were then conducted in that building. Rev. Mr. Harris is the present pastor.

The Disciple's Church was formed on the first Sunday of March, 1882. Elder W. M. Babbitt was chiefly instrumental in effecting the work, which took place in the school building at Elk City, with a total of twenty members. Meetings are now conducted in the Presbyterian church, by Mr Babbitt.

The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1880, through the efforts of Rev. Sidney Allen, a noted pioneer minister and physician. A church house was built, during the early part of that year, and dedicated on the 4th of July. The building is a one-story stone structure, and serves numerous other congregations of the city for church purposes. The congregation has thirty-five members, and was under charge of Mr. Allen until recently when he was succeeded by Rev. E. B. Evans as pastor.

Nowhere, perhaps, does social order attain greater perfection and fraternal feeling higher cultivation than in this little city. Her quota of lodges and social fraternities clearly demonstrates this fact; not alone in the comparative number of these, but also in the vigorous spirit with which they are conducted and the prosperity they enjoy.

Carson Lodge, No. 132, A., F. & A. M., was instituted under a dispensation, in November, 1871, and chartered October 7, 1873, with thirteen charter members. The first officers were J. W. Bell, worshipful master; J. P. Swatzell, secretary, and G. T. Sherman, treasurer. The lodge, since the beginning, has enjoyed a high degree of prosperity, and now has a membership of fifty-four, with W. S. Hough, as worshipful master; S. S. Benson, secretary, and W. W. Woodring, treasurer.

William Penn Lodge, No. 78, I. O. O. F. became organized under a dispensation, August 29, 1871. The work of institution was under the direction of Isaac Sharp, special deputy grand master, and Samuel F. Burdett, special deputy grand secretary. The order began with five members, and Whig Southard was chosen noble grand, and E. T. Walker, secretary. The present officers of the Lodge, which now numbers a membership of thirty-two are: S. S. Benson, noble grand; L. Kniffen, vice grand; T. J. White secretary; G. W. Kniffen treasurer, and W. W. Woodring, sitting past grand.

Enterprise Lodge, No. 2078, K of H., was instituted by D. G. Himrod, of Chanute, Kan., as special deputy, on the 11th of February, 1880, with twenty-two charter members. Those first elected as officers were: J. W. Simpson, dictator; S. B. Davis, secretary; Joseph Robins, treasurer. This order, however, only enjoyed a brief existence, having become disorganized in the spring of 1882.

Elk City Lodge, No. 108, A. O. U. W., was organized August 4, 1882, by D. M. Legg, who was specially deputized for this purpose. Officers to take charge of the order were then chosen as follows: F. W. Baker, master workman; William Stewart, foreman; William Wright, receiver, and E. C. Rogers, financier. These flourishing fraternities all hold their meetings in the same hall, at different times.

Three attempts have been made toward the publication of a newspaper at Elk City. The last of these was made during the summer of 1882, in the publication of a paper called the Elk City Globe, by W. C. Gettys, the first issue of which appeared on the 28th of July. The paper is a six-column folio in size, neutral in politics, and has a circulation of three hundred copies.

The only strictly monetary institution in the place is the Elk City banking house, which was established in March, 1881, by F. E. Turner, who for some time was engaged in mercantile pursuits, which he gave up to begin banking. This institution is provided with a vault of solid masonry, with Diebold entrance, in which is a Hall's best time lock safe.

The only manufacturing establishments of importance at this place are the saw-mill established in 1869, by S. B. Davis & Co., and the Elk City flouring mill, owned by Wright & Musson. This establishment does a large and successful business, and sustains a high reputation for the excellence of its work and the honorable dealing of its proprietors.

There is also a brick yard here in successful operation by Price & Woodring, from which there was manufactured during the season about 600,000 brick, for the supply of building material to the city, and for which there was a pressing demand, during the summer, by reason of the many buildings being constructed, both as public buildings, business houses and residences. Besides these are other smaller factories, such as wagon shops, etc. A manufactory for the making of the Double Spiral Bed Springs is operated by William Stewart, who owns the State right of this patent, for both its manufacture and sale.


McDonald, Rosalie Alma "Rosie" age 88 died April 8th, daughter of Herbert and Emma (Brand) Greenburg in Hale, Kansas
Hodges, Norma L. age 59 died April 4,
Dunham Garryl David age 58 died April 6th,
Welch, Emma Lou age 69 died June 3rd. Burial in Oak Hill Cemetery
Carney, Carol Jean Brinton died June 2nd, burial in Oak Hill Cemetery

Sunflower image Remembering the Past     Sunflower image Living the Present     Sunflower image Looking to the Future


HomeBusinessChurchesClasses of the pastEducationGovernment
History Newsletter One Room Schools Organizations Poets Corner
Remember When Special Events Short Stories School Annuals UtilitiesVeterans

Explore Elk City in Montgomery County, or visit other Kansas Cities & Towns

July 10, 2013 / Elk City PRIDE, Elk City, Kansas /

Blue Skyways Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 1998
Elk City PRIDE
Kansas on the Net