W. B. Strong Memorial Railroad Park
The town of Strong City originated in March of 1871 when the
Santa Fe Railroad was completed to the point then known as
Cottonwood Station. Strong City was referred to as Cottonwood
Station until 1881. In February of 1881 a petition was signed by a
majority of the citizens and presented to the legislature asking
that the body officially change the name to Strong. It was approved
and Cottonwood Station was renamed in honor of William Barstow (W.
B.) Strong, General Superintendent and later, President of the
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway. In 1945 "City" was added
to the name Strong.
Strong City, Kansas
A six stall roundhouse employed many workers and was active 1887
The original depot burned in 1902 and was replaced in 1903. In
1913, due in part to the very heavy passenger and freight traffic,
a new brick depot trimmed in native cut limestone was built for a
cost of $20,000. The new depot was one of the best in the Santa Fe
The caboose was donated by Santa Fe in 1990.