"The Star of the West"
|Here stood one of the most famous saloons of the West. The building,
called Kunz's Hall and built in 1869, also housed the Kansas Freie
Presse a German language newspaper, and the H. J. Helmers barber shop.
The saloon was named "Star of the West" in 1871.
Here leading statesmen, military men, plainsmen, and business men met and here they discussed the many issues of the day. In those discussions a city and a state matured.
Even after Kansas adopted constitutional prohibition in 1880 the Star of the West continued to be a saloon until 1887, when it became known as a "restaurant and reading room." The name was discontinued in 1896.
Erected by Leavenworth Historical Society, 1970
423 Shawnee Street