Veterans Administration Center
Visitors are Welcome
In 1884 Congress authorized establishment of a Western Branch of the
National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Leavenworth citizens
contributed $50,000 and 640 acres of land, and the Home was opened here
September 1, 1885.
For years the blue of Civil War uniforms mingled on these grounds with the khaki of the Spanish American War, to be followed by mufti when uniforms were no longer required.
Since 1930 the Center has operated as a Hospital and Domiciliary for our Country's war veterans.
An imposing monument in the cemetery commemorates the final resting place of over 12,000 of our military dead.
Erected by Leavenworth Historical Society, 1967
4th Street at entrance to the Dwight
D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center