The Neosho Rapids Bell
|This bell, probably the oldest in Lyon County, was hauled in a
freighter-wagon from Fort Leavenworth to ring in the belfry of
The Little Baptist Church. The church (1859-1948) was located on
this site and dedicated in 1861. Built of the finest local lumber,
The Little Baptist Church served as a cultural and spiritual center
of the community. The bell was an object of pride for the village
and was used to sound alarms, to call mass meetings, and to toll
the ages of persons who had died in the community. "Uncle
Sherm" Andrews (1869-1953), a native of Neosho Rapids, in 1947
restored The Little Baptist Church as an historical landmark to be
used as a community center and as a place of worship. Fire
tragically destroyed the building on Easter Sunday, April 3, 1948.
The Bell, its tones undimmed, commemorates the site of The
Little Baptist Church. The Memorial Park is dedicated to the pre-Civil
War pioneers of this prairie village and to "Uncle Sherm"
Andrews, who wished to leave a legacy to the community he loved.
Bell & Plaque
Fifth Street, between Main & Commercial Streets
November 26, 2000 /
Bob Walter /
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library