Stylized Sunflower

Norwood

Circa 1900

Stylized Sunflower
 
The town of Norwood, Kansas was founded on this site in 1873 as a stop on the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Ft. Gibson railroad. The town was named after a popular novel of the time by Henry Ward Beecher. Population peaked in 1900 at fifty persons. At that time the town included the buildings shown on this map plus three homes just to the east along Stafford Road. Norwood was established because the railroad facilitated shipment of agricultural produce from the area and transport of household items and agricultural machinery to it. In the 1920's, with the advent of the automobile, the population began to disperse to Baldwin City and Ottawa. By the mid-1940's Norwood was gone.
Erected by the Midland Railway
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Franklin County  
Just off Stafford Road at the railroad crossing.
Norwood,
Franklin County
  More
Historical
Markers

September 26, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library