Stylized Sunflower

First Presbyterian Church

Stylized Sunflower
 
      Twenty persons met in a vacant store on the east side of Main, midway between Sixth and Broadway, on July 7, 1872 to hear a sermon and to organize one of Newton's oldest Protestant churches. On March 25, 1875 the cornerstone was laid for a new church located in the second block of West Sixth on property donated by the Newton Town Co. The first regular minister was Rev. Nelson K. Crowe. This site at Seventh and Main was purchased for $3200 and included stone and masonry that had been brought in for the proposed Hotel Madrid. The building on West Sixth was moved here in 1901 and was used for services during construction of a new church. It was given a brick veneer and incorporated into the new structure as its chapel. Dedication of the complete structure which contained a fine pipe organ took place April 9, 1905. This church was used until a new edifice was dedicated on June 16, 1960 at 900 Columbus.
Erected 1994 by First Presbyterian Church and Harvey County Historical Society
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Harvey County  
Main and 7th, north east corner
Downtown Newton
Harvey County
  More
Historical
Markers
 
January 30, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library