Midland National Bank
Midland National Bank opened March 3, 1893 in a building
located on the northeast corner of Fifth and Main. Grant
Hornaday was the bank's president, J. H. McNair, vice-president
and Don Kinney, cashier. The bank purchased
this site in 1896 for $6000 and moved here in 1907. A
stone wall from Peter Luhn's 1876 Pioneer Store, uncovered
in 1977, can still be seen inside the bank. Herman E.
Suderman (b. 1873), an 1885 Russian immigrant, began his
banking career at the age of 13 as a janitor and messenger
for the German National Bank. In 1902 he was employed by
the Midland bank, and in 1903 was elected a director and
vice-president. He purchased his controlling interest in
1916 and 3 years later became its president. He held this
position until he was succeeded by his son John G. in 1954.
Presently, James H. and John R. Suderman are 3rd generation
officers of the bank. The building was extensively
remodeled in 1907, 1922, and 1977
ERECTED 1994 BY
MIDLAND NATIONAL BANK AND HARVEY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.