Stylized Sunflower

Harvey County Courthouse

Stylized Sunflower
 
      The first Harvey County Courthouse on this site was a three story red brick structure modified Romanesque Revival style dominated by a tall clock tower. Bedford stone highlighted the exterior with marble lining the interior hallways. J. C. Holland and Squires, Topeka, were the architects and Crosby and Son of Kansas City, Mo., contractor. Groundbreaking was June 20, 1906, and on Sept. 11, an elaborate ceremony was held for the laying of the cornerstone. The cost was $47,101 and the magnificent building was a "testimonial to Little Harvey's progressiveness and spirit." Each office had a fireplace, natural gas, electricity, and telephone. P. J. Galle presided over the first court session on Nov. 6, 1907. In 1966 the building was razed. Its marble and stone can be seen on two local trail markers.
 
      This sign is in memory of the pioneer family Ezra and Charles Branine, early attorneys, attorney C. Fred Ice and Mildred Branine Ice.
Erected in 1994 by Theodore B. and Sue H. Ice and the Harvey County Historical Society
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Harvey County  
Main & 8th, south east corner
Downtown Newton
Harvey County
  More
Historical
Markers
 
January 30, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library