Stylized Sunflower

The Carnegie Library

Stylized Sunflower
 
      On April 15, 1903 construction began on this site. The Cottonwood stone, red brick facade and Ionic columns combined to provide a striking addition to Main Street Newton. The two story building was designed by W. W. Rose, and constructed by Reikowski and Bartel on land donated by E. C. Lewellen. The site selection process created controversy between the citizens living south of the Santa Fe tracks and those on the north side. The source of funding was a $16000 grant from the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. The structure was officially opened March 14, 1904 and was a welcome change from the rented rooms in the Randall Building at 5th and Main. In 1924 a $5000 room was added to the west side and in 1937 the basement was remodeled as a children's section. The building served until April, 1973 when a new library was opened on North Oak and the Carnegie Building deed was tendered to the Harvey County Historical Society.
 
Erected 2001 by the Harvey County Historical Society
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Harvey County  
201 North Main Street
Downtown Newton
Harvey County
  More
Historical
Markers
 
October 11, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library