The first Indian mission and school in present
Kansas was established in September, 1824, about five
miles west of this marker. Benton Pixley, the missionary,
followed Chief White Hair and his band of Great Osages
who had migrated from Missouri about 1815. The new
"Mission on the Neosho" was a branch of Harmony mission,
operated in Missouri by Presbyterian and associated
denominations. Several Osage tribes located near by,
and some of the chiefs and the Indian agent were
antagonistic to Pixley. Indian rowdies often disturbed
religious meetings and the school failed to attract
pupils. In 1829 the field was abandoned.
In 1844 A.B. Canville established a trading post
among the Osages three miles west of this marker.
There on September 29,1865, the Osages signed a treaty
with the Federal government agreeing to a reduction
of their reserve in Kansas. A few years later they
were removed to Oklahoma.