The Leland Hotel

Main Street, Caldwell,
Sumner County, Kansas


The Leland Hotel stood here from 1880 to 1970 when a fire swept through the historic structure. It was built of brick, 3 stories high, 46 guest rooms each with its own running water, a billiard hall, barber shop, bridal chamber, barroom, dining hall and kitchen. Major Odum, a large cattle dealer, built the hotel for other cattlemen due to Caldwell's on-going rivalry between its cattle and farm/city interests. The Leland stood in 1880 as one of the largest hotels in southern Kansas and was most hospitable to its guests, so long as they were an advocate of the cattle industry.
Erected 1993 by Donations from Stock Exchange Bank
and the Caldwell Cherokee Strip Centennial Committee

August 29, 2000 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library