|Three miles north is Lecompton, famous in the latter
1850's as headquarters of the Proslavery party in Kansas.
The "bogus" legislature of 1855 made it the territorial
capital and Congress appropriated $50,000 for a capitol
building which was never completed. Lecompton was
served by stagecoach, steamboat, and ferry. With a land
office and other Federal Agencies, it prospered until
the downfall of the slave power in Kansas. Gov. Charles
Robinson and many free-state leaders were imprisoned
there during 1856-1857. Still to be seen is the legislative
hall in which the Lecompton Constitution was
framed in 1857.
"Fort Titus" home of proslavery leader Henry Titus,
attacked and burned by Free-State men in 1856,
was 2½ miles north of this marker.