Built in 1858 it was a mail stop on the Santa Fe Trail offering meals and lodging until 1869. At 130 yards behind this sign are the remains of the hotel and stage station.
About fifty German and French families settled here. The large stone hotel was erected; a large distillery and brewery were started. Soon the leading merchants failed and the town was abandoned in the early 1870's. Many of the Germans moved to Alma and the property was sold for taxes.
and the Heart of the Flint Hills Chapter
of the S.F.T.A.
Roadside marker on K-31 near Burlingame in Osage County