In 1873, Ohio Congressman James A. Garfield, later
the 20th President of the United States, was honored
by former citizens from his District by naming their
town for him. In appreciation he gave a bell to the
community for the first church to be erected in Garfield.
The Congregational Church built in 1875 was the recipient of the bell.
The Wayside Chapel is a memorial to the first Congregational Church with its cornerstone, and that historic bell.
The stone at the base of this marker is the original step to the first church.
Travelers on Highway 56 are invited to pause for prayer to God on life's journey.
Erected by Citizens and Friends of the Garfield Community 1966
This marker was donated to the memory of Florence C. Carpenter by the Carpenter family.