Stylized Sunflower

Fort Leavenworth

Stylized Sunflower
 
Established in 1827, Fort Leavenworth is the oldest army post in continuous operation west of the Missouri River. Serving as the army's chief base of operations on the Central Plains, the fort furnished troops and supplies for military operations as far away as the Pacific Coast. Troops stationed at the fort were given the task of maintaining peace on the frontier and protecting trade on the newly established Santa Fe Trail. With the establishment of the Oregon-California Trail in the 1840s, travelers on that trail also received protection.
 
In 1834 the fort became headquarters for the U. S. Dragoons, the army's first permanent mounted regiment. With the onset of the war with Mexico in 1846, the Army of the West organized at the fort for its epic journey to California and northern Mexico. When Kansas achieved territorial status in 1854, the first office of the territorial governor was at the fort. In 1861 General William T. Sherman established a school that evolved into the Command and General Staff College, the highest ranked school in the army educational system. One notable student, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, graduated in 1926 with highest honors in his class.
Erected by Kansas State Historical Society & Kansas Department of Transportation
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Franklin County  
7th Street entrance to Fort Leavenworth
Leavenworth County
  More
Historical
Markers

September 26, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library