Old Harper Fountain


OLD HARPER FOUNTAIN

THE FOUNTAIN WAS ORIGINALLY LOCATED
ON THIS SITE AND PRESENTED TO THE
CITY OF HARPER IN THE YEAR 1909 BY
THE STUDY AND SOCIAL CLUB, UNDER THE
DIRECTION OF CLUB PRESIDENT MARY
COULSON AND CLUB FOUNDER AND TEACHER,
JOSEPHINE WEATHERLY, AT A COST OF
$375.00

ACCEPTED ON BEHALF OF THE CITY BY
THEN MAYOR M. S. SHEPHARD, THE
FOUNTAIN REPLACED THE TOWN WATER PUMP
AND SERVED AS A WATERING STATION FOR
MAN AND ANIMAL FOR A PERIOD OF 60
YEARS BEFORE BEING REPLACED BY A MORE
MODERN STRUCTURE IN 1969.

IN 1983, THE FOUNTAIN WAS RESTORED AND
AND REPLACED ON THIS ORIGINAL SITE THROUGH
THE DIRECTION OF BRIAN EDE AND COMBINED
EFFORTS OF THE HARPER CHAMBER OF
COMMERCE INC. WITH MONETARY
CONTRIBUTIONS BY MANY FORMER AND
PRESENT AREA CITIZENS AND IS HEREBY
DEDICATED WITH RESPECT TO THE CITIZENS
HARPER PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE

THIS FOUNTAIN WAS ACCEPTED ON BEHALF
OF THE CITY BY MAYOR HUBERT JOHNSON


OCTOBER, 22, 1983

Bronze plaque on the Fountain in downtown Harper, Kansas
Harper County
Harper County

More  Historical Markers


May 20, 1998 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library