Native Stone Building


 
        This corner was occupied by the Exchange Saloon, the site of many shooting incidents between cowpokes and outlaws during the 1870 and 1880s. The saloon was destroyed by fire in 1898. The first floor of this building was built in 1902 with materials taken from the third floor of the native stone building one block north. The differing stone can be seen on the south side of this building. Both buildings are made of stone quarried by hand 5 miles southwest of Caldwell and brought to town by horse and wagon.
 
Erected 1993 by donations from Michelle Williams, The Last Chance Bar and Grill, and the Caldwell Cherokee Strip Centennial Committee

Sumner County  
Main & First
Caldwell, KS
Sumner County
 

More
Historical
Markers

Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS


September 7, 2000 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library