HISTORICAL MARKER
COW CREEK STATION


          One mile south is the hand-dug well that served the U. S. Cavalry and Santa Fe Trail travelers in the 1860s.

          For five days in July, 1864, 600 Indians besieged a trading post near the well and a wagon train nearby. When the attackers tried to overrun the post, "Buffalo Bill" Mathewson fired a small cannon into the midst of several on horseback and afoot, ending the siege.

          A later "Buffalo Bill", William F. Cody worked at the site briefly before moving in 1867 to Ellsworth, where he gained the cognomen by killing buffalo for railroad workers.

Rice County Historical Society
Rice County Bicentennial Commission

Historical marker beside Highway US 56


West of Lyons in Rice County

More  Historical Markers


February 26, 1998 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library