Stylized Sunflower

Council Grove

Stylized Sunflower
 
        In 1825 growing traffic over the Santa Fe trail brought a government survey team and right-of-way treaties with certain Indians. Council Grove takes its name from an agreement made here that year with the Osage nation. Indians farther west continued their attacks on weak or unwary caravans. A large grove on the river here became the rendezvous where wagon trains banded together for safe travel and to make repairs from the last available timber. Fremont's expedition of 1845 and Doniphan's troops bound for the Mexican War in 1846 camped on the site. In 1849 the overland mail was established, with supply headquarters here, followed the next year by monthly coach service. Travel to Santa Fe through Council Grove ended in 1866 when the Union Pacific reached Junction City.
 
        This area became a Kaw Indian reservation in 1846. With the Indians came the first white settler who built a trading post. A building erected here in 1850 by the Methodist church as a mission and school is now a state-owned museum. The Indians in 1872 signed a treaty for removal to Indian territory, now Oklahoma. There are several places of historical interest in and near the town.
Erected by Kansas Historical Society & State Highway Commission

Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS

Morris County  
Northwest corner of Union and Main Streets in Council Grove
In park on Neosho River
Morris County
  More
Historical
Markers


February 15, 2003 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library