A special "Thanks" to the Grimes for sharing this History of the Olsburg United Methodist Church Building. This history was found in Greg's Dad's things. They believe the history was handed out during the church service commemorating the anniversary.
Note from the Grimes: J. J. Heath, one of the first trustees, was Greg's great great grandfather; Geraldine Grimes was his step-mother.
The Olsburg United Methodist Church Building One Hundred Years
According to the deed on October 26, 1888, Lots 15 and 16 in block 11, Town of Olsburg, First Addition was purchased from Leonard and Helen Smith of Leavenworth County, Kansas by the Methodist Episcopal Church for fifty dollars. The deed stipulated that there shall be erected on the lots within one year a suitable church building. That same premises shall be used, kept and maintained as a place of divine worship for the use of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Trustees were J. E. Holm, B. O. Klapp, J. J. Heath, Joseph Sumner, Ole Johnson, D. R. Simkins and ministers M. F. Marsh and J. H. Colt, Morganville. The deed was registered on December 9, 1886. The cornerstone was laid the same year.
Also from Register of Deed records a First Bond and Mortgage between the Olsburg First Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, incorporated by the Legislature of Pennsylvania. The Olsburg church received the sum of $250. Among other things, it stated a building of wood, size 36 x 24 and classrooms 14 x 24. The trustees listed on this document were Joseph Sumner, D. R. Simkins, Ole Johnson, J. E. Holm, J. J. Heath, B. O. Klapp, and Victor Johnson. It was dated November 20, 1886 and recorded December 9, 1886.
According to a newspaper account in March, 1887 about the building of the church, "The plasterers and painters have been pushing their work ahead in order to have the new church ready for Sunday and succeeded in completed the inside work and most of the outside painting. The ladies worked very arduously to clean the building, put down carpet, etc., and had all their work finished Saturday evening. The Sunday service was filled to capacity with Col. Allan Buckner presiding. At the end of the sermon it was announced that there was a debt of $800 on the church which must be raised before the building could be dedicated." They worked to get it raised but could not, so dedication was postponed. Services were not held in the church until the church was dedicated. The money was raised, and on May 6, 1887, the church was dedicated. Rev. O. S. Warner was the minister at this time. The cost of the church was about $2,100.
The only addition made to the original church building has been the kitchen, restrooms and class room on the east in 1965. The stained glass windows came from the old Randolph Methodist Church around 1960. The sanctuary was remodeled and panelled in 1969. In 1971 shrubbery was planted in front of the church. The sanctuary and annex were fully carpeted in 1980. In 1985 a ramp and wrought iron railing were added to the west side of the church and matching railings were added to the back porch in 1987.
A memorial fund was established in 1969. Some of the things purchased from this fund are: the cross in the sanctuary, public address system, closet and bookcase in annex, a spinet piano for the sanctuary, pew cushions, ceiling fans, lighted church sign, brass candlesticks for the altar, altar cover, new front doors, bookcase in Sunday School room and utility cabinet and other cabinet on west wall of kitchen.
In 1984 the family of Geraldine Grimes established a fund for a library. Many books have been purchased and we are adding more all the time.
- Home Page for Kansas State Library