The Early Schools of Darlington Township
Harvey County, Kansas
Dewey School was a one-room school located on what is now the southwest corner of 36th Street & South Kansas (Old Hwy 81), south of Newton. The front door opened to the east. The stage was on the west side, with a coal bin behind the stage. The foyer area was used as the lunchroom. The usual recess game in the 1940's was baseball.
Three teachers are known to have taught here: Mrs. Glen Patton, Mrs. Unruh, and Mrs. Dorothy M. Schmidt.
Dewey School 1947-1948
L-R: Will Smith, Bob Hughes, Joan Swanson, Loretta Adams, Norma Stahly, Agnes Adler, Dick McGlockin, Aaron Smith
The Doty School was located 1 mile west of Old 81 Highway and 1 mile north of the Sedgwick county line.
Teachers included Virginia Hollister, Cora Umbarger, Alice Koerner, & Miss Reisser.